Chapter 12

No one said anything to me about when the prince's wedding would take place, but it was obvious by the increased activity and the hoards of visitors, that it would be soon. In addition to the numerous royals and dignitaries from the other kingdoms, Rebecca told me that a large number of the guests were the family of the prince's fiance. Not wanting to intrude or run into any of them, I decided not to venture out of my rooms while they were here if I could help it. Conveniently, there was far too much going on for the king to hold one of his inclusive gatherings, and everyone was much too busy to even think of me. The two brief times I left my rooms, hardly anyone even looked in my direction.

But I couldn't help wishing that I would be invited to watch the wedding, even if from the shadows. It was stupid, I knew. Nice as he was, the prince wouldn't want me there. And I'd be just about the last person in the world his fiance would want attending her wedding. But I'd never been to a wedding before, not even any of my sisters'. My father hadn't felt it necessary, so I was kept home like always. And this was a royal wedding. I knew it was going to be spectacular.

Stupid or not, I kept hoping someone would come to tell me that I had the option to go, but of course no one ever did. And then one morning, Rebecca told me it was taking place that day. I shouldn't have felt as disappointed as I did since I'd known it would go on without me, but I still found myself moping throughout the day.

But at least I had plenty to occupy my time. Good to his word, the prince had sent a tutor the day after I'd spoken with him. There was so much to learn and it felt a little silly since I could tell that my tutor, Mr. Butler was used to working with children. Many of his techniques made me feel completely ridiculous. But within the week, I was beginning to be able to read. I felt so proud when I was able to read my name. I'd never even seen it written before and I liked the way it looked. Mr. Butler demanded that I practice writing each letter over and over again along with specific words he chose, but I found myself practicing my name more than anything else.

At the moment, I was bent over the book I'd picked out in the library that day. It was called The Reckoning and Mr. Butler had laughed when I said I wanted to start by reading it.

I understood why he laughed now. I'd only been reading for a few days at the time, and the book was full of some very long and difficult words. I struggled over most of them. In fact, I'm not sure I'd even know what the title was if not for Mr. Butler telling me when I showed him the book. However I'd been so annoyed when he laughed at my choice, I made up my mind to prove him wrong. I might not have any idea what the book was about by the time I was finished, but I was going to finish.

It was a task that had seemed much more possible before I actually started. I'd been staring at the book for several days, and had only made it to page ten. To avoid discouragement, I refused to look ahead at how many pages there actually were, but the book felt heavy. More so every time I tried to read it and was only able to focus long enough to get through a page or two.

Feeling frustrated that I couldn't read a full sentence without struggling, I slapped the book closed and leaned my head back against the chair. At this rate, I was never going to finish.

A knock sounded on the door as I was setting the book aside for the day.

"Come in," I called, knowing by the knock that it was Rebecca.

Sure enough, a moment later, Rebecca appeared, but rather than rush in to talk, she stayed at the door, looking more formal.

"Visitors, My Lady."

I stood and was about to comment on her formality when what she actually said registered in my mind. Who would be visiting me?

Rebecca stepped aside to reveal Viola and Jocelyn. For a moment all I could do was stare at the two of them, surprised. Glad as I wanted to be to see my sisters, I couldn't help being skeptical too. They must know what my position was or they wouldn't be here. I'd held that position for a few months now. Why had they waited so long if they wanted to visit?