[2] the goth kids

After another 3 hours of extreme boredom, I figured that it would be a great idea to do some drugs.

And by drugs, I mean caffeine.

Remember: I forgot to take my daily dose of coffee this morning.

I don't actually smoke, or do heroin, or some other messed up illegal shit. Although, it really wouldn't make a difference if I did, judging by my current physical and mental state.

The last irritating school bell of the day finally rang, and students began pouring themselves into the hallways, chattering and gossiping among themselves.

I wanted to get the hell out of here as soon as possible, before I run into any other creeps similar to those Gothic looking jerks. For some reason, they seemed really intimidating and I just wanted nothing to do with them.

It was a tough life for a "new kid" who barely made their way through the day. Two months into this hell-hole and people still don't give two shits about me. It was a mutual feeling, however.

I grab the required books out of my locker, sighing before slamming the locker door shut, and placing the lock back onto the hook.

Whilst walking to the exit, I notice how many people were so cheerful. They were always smiling, and speaking loud to their friends.. I didn't want to be an edgy loser or anything, but I wondered how it felt.

To just, smile and be happy like everyone else.

Like everyone else...

A loud car drove by the road, interrupting my thoughts. I previously called my father, and informed him about how I was going to be returning late. Apparently he had also planned to not be home, so I could be out for as long as I desired.

He was probably going to hang out at the bar and hook up with someone random chick again. (It was only traumatizing the first 2 times).

I shrugged the gross thought away, and turned the corner of the sidewalk. I could see the "Denny's Coffee Shop" sign from across the street.

I opened the entrance door, hearing the small jingle of bells. The interior felt warm and cozy compared to outside, and the air smelt fresh.

I felt like I was at home.

After ordering my (insert coffee drink/size of your choice), I proceeded to scan the area for a place to sit. Normally, the shop wouldn't be this empty. Until...

Fuck.

My hands started trembling as I gazed my eyes towards the 2nd table closest to the exit. What a gosh diddly darn coincidence, the same scary Gothic looking kids were chilling together 2 meters away from me.

They weren't talking to each other, rather, the silence was their way of communicating.

To avoid making another scene, I decide to make my way towards the exit, partially covering my face with my (h/c) hair to prevent myself from becoming noticeable.

But while I pushed the exit door open, a voice from the table called out to me.

"Hey, you."

The girl who interacted with me on the bus this morning had started with the same exact word, excluding the 'you'. It was almost creepy, in a way.

I pause, releasing my grip from the door, and turning my head in their direction. Four pale faces had their gazes towards me.

"Yes?" I casually asked, the warmth of my coffee stinging the palm of my hand.

The tall, permed boy took a sip of his coffee. "Are you the person we saw earlier?"

After a short moment of silence, I nod in response. "Oh, yeah. I'm really sorry, I was in a hurry and I wasn't looking properly-"

"It's alright." He interrupted, and to my surprise, responding in a sincere fashion. "You seem cool. Do you want to sit with us?"

My heart skipped a beat. Is this really happening? Was I really being invited to hang out with real people? This was actually insane, and I felt like I was dreaming.

"Um, sure." I quietly mutter, but loud enough for them to recognize that I accepted his invitation to sit.

I sat in the unoccupied seat next to the shorter boy with red highlights. He looked at me with a clear emotion of indifference.

I place my schoolbag on my lap, and my drink on the table. All of a sudden, I felt a wave of anxiety crash over me. It was unnerving, and I suddenly had bad thoughts coursing through my mind.

I started to panic. "Are you sure it's alright for me to sit here? If I can recall, one of you called me a conformist." I fiddled with the straps of my schoolbag, gazing down at the table.

The chubby girl with the dark dress puffed smoke into the air, although I thought this place was a smoke-free restaurant. "That would be me, yeah." She takes a sip of her coffee, and exhales a sigh of relief. "Obviously, well.. You don't seem like a total conformist."

A wave of relief crashed over me, noticing that everyone else nods in agreement.

"So, who are you? We've never seen you around before." The boy beside me asks.

"Oh, I'm.. (Y/N). I just moved into town a few months ago." Feeling more comfortable, I take a small sip of my coffee.

"What's your category? Do you stay up late?" The girl asks.

"My... What?" I tilt my head to the side in confusion. "Also, it depends on how I'm feeling."

The permed boy shrugs. "Category, as in: If you're not a wannabe conformist cheerleader, what do you classify as?"

I blink, concealing the fact that I was annoyed by this question. "Not to get philosophical or some shit, but labels don't really have an influence on me. I'm not a nerd, jock, cheerleader bitch, emo, or whatever the fuck people call themselves.  All I can muster is that, I'm me."

I pause, realizing that I probably pissed them off. "Or in other words, an outcast."

The boy beside me nods, scratching the back of his neck. "Well, if you don't have a category, you can always hang out with us."

The girl smirks, puffing more smoke into the air. "Yeah, our goth category way more superior than any other poser bitch category at our dead-end school."

"Posers can suck my goth balls." The shortest kid added, finally adding something to the conversation.

I smile, thankful that I was happily accepted into their goth group. "Thanks." I say.

"Also, we should probably introduce ourselves, now that you're technically apart of the group." The boy beside me flipped his hair, pushing his long bangs away from his eyes. "I'm Pete."

"Michael." Said the tall permed boy.

"Henrietta." Said the girl.

"And I'm Firkle." Said the smaller kid.

I nod, becoming more familiar with the group of people surrounding me.

Suddenly, they began to pack up their belongings, while I remained still. "So, where are you all headed?"

"We're off to the graveyard to write poetry. You should come." Henrietta stated, puffing her last bit of smoke into the air. "It'll be cool for your first day as one of us, I suppose."

I nod in agreement. "Okay, I guess I'll be following you then."

After packing up my own belongings, I trail behind the goths.

To my surprise, Pete opens the door for me. "Welcome to the club." He states lightly, flipping his hair once more.

Even if they were intimidating at first glance, it was nice being welcomed by the goth kids.