[3] death & despair

I've only passed by the local cemetery at least once on my way to school, but I've never thought of actually stepping foot inside.

It was quite deserted when we entered, nobody seemed to be around, and the silence was almost deafening. The only sound to be heard was the soft crunches of the dead soil we were stepping on.

The atmosphere was dark, even if it was only 5:16 PM, and the sun hasn't even set. Some tombstones were so aged, the names imprinted on the stones were barely visible. We sat in an open field, still close to the cluster of gravestones.

"Alright (Y/N), it's your turn to read your poem." Michael said, separating me from my thoughts. I look down at my paper, realizing that I dissociated for so long that I only wrote 3 lines.

I nod swiftly. "Okay, just give me a second." I scribble a few more lines at the end, finishing off my so-called 'poem about pain'. 

They explained that they do this sort of activity often, so I should probably get used to it. It was a good thing that pain and suffering occupy my thoughts almost 24/7. 

After jotting down my last line, I scan my paper, ready to share my poem. "Profound, dark thoughts clot my veins. Melancholy dreams inhabit my surroundings.  I take my last breath before surrendering to the pit of complete isolation. Crippled ideas with no sense, and days with no meaning. Where is my mind, other than everywhere at once? " I place the paper onto my lap. "It's kinda short, my bad." I say, cracking my knuckles nervously.

Henrietta nods. "It may be short, but it doesn't mean it's complete trash." She puffs her smoke into the air. "I like it, maybe you could include more ideas about the specific amount of pain that surrounds you. Other than that, it's pretty hardcore."

The remainder of the group nod together in agreement. "Yeah." They say in unison.

I realized how amusing this was, just being together with the goth kids and doing edgy shit all day. I really could get used to this routine.

"So, other than write poems at the graveyard, what other activities do you guys enjoy?" I ask, curiously.

Pete puffs his smoke into the air. "Well for starters, we barely attend school. You'd be lucky if you ever saw us present in a disgusting poser-ass classroom." He places a hand on my shoulder. "I understand if studies are somehow important to you, but to be goth, you have to also understand that school is fucking pointless." After realizing that he made physical contact, he suddenly jerks his hand away.

I glare back at him, confused. But I decide to shrug it off for now.

"Okay, so instead of attending school, what do you all do in your spare time?"

I watch as Michael chuckles. "I wouldn't consider it fun, but we like dancing. We also usually chill behind the school, near the staircase." He gazes cigarette between his fingers. "Honestly, not to sound stereotypical or some shit, but in order to become goth, you just need to do everything we do."

I give a short nod. "Got it."

I hear a small vibration from Henrietta's direction, and everyone immediately turns towards her. We watch as she pulls out her phone, and we all assumed that she received a phone call.

"Sorry, it's my dumbass parents." She sighs, pressing the decline button on her phone. "I'm not even gonna fucking bother. Anyways, I probably need to head back, so they can torture me like the abusive parents they are." 

Everyone else nods, other than me, who once again, sat in silence. I wondered just how abusive Henrietta's parents are, because she seemed to exaggerate on them.

I began to pack up my stuff, concealing the fact that I was upset to have this meetup end so soon.

We walked together until the gate of the cemetery, before splitting paths.

"Well, see you soon, (Y/N)." Michael stated, and the others wave goodbye.

I gave a short wave back. "Bye."

I watch as their figures condense into silhouettes.

-

After parting ways with the goth kids, I finally give myself the chance to breathe. It was nice having some quiet time to myself, calmly walking home after what seemed like the best day in this town so far. I couldn't believe it, I finally found something to substitute instead of one full day of endless Hell.

"Oh. It's you." A voice from behind me said, making me jump in surprise.

I did a full 180, hoping that it wasn't a murderer. Instead, it was the goth kid with red highlights, Pete. I guess it was better than being murdered. 

I widen my eyes in complete surprise. "Pete?" 

"Hey." Was all he responded with.

I blink. "What are you doing here?" I ask, attempting not to sound rude.

"This is the route I usually take on my way home."

"Oh."

I fidgeted with my backpack straps, not knowing what to say. Things were going to get awkward, and I could already tell. "That's cool, I didn't know you lived around here." I responded casually, trying to remain chill. 

We walked together in silence, the space between us was around 1 meter. Honestly, I didn't know why I calculated that.

"So, the group seems to really like you, huh." He said, flipping his hair. "That's cool. Normally people aren't that willing to join the goths. Unlike you, those same people aren't that interesting either." 

I didn't realize it, but I was blushing. Holy shit, that was a compliment

"Cool." I say, trying my best to hide my beet red face. "This seems kind of random, but I recall you saying that you guys don't attend school often." I pause, glaring at him. "If so, then how come I saw you guys in the hallway?"

Pete's face suddenly lit in realization. "Right, we forgot to tell you." He scratches his neck, almost as if he was embarrassed.  "We signed up for the school's talent show next week." 

"No way." I said, obviously shocked. "What are you going to perform?"

"Well it's kind of ironic, but we were thinking of performing a song that contradicts the idea of being in a talent show. We normally don't attend stupid conformist bullshit events like these, but I guess this was the only exception." He chuckles quietly to himself. "It's dumb, but you could join if you want."

I nod in response. "Sounds cool."

We remained quiet for the rest of the way, exchanging glances often. But most of the time, I would gaze at the floor. He wasn't scary or anything, but his presence was just give me an odd feeling. 

By the time we arrived at my house, the sun was just about to set. The sky was a light pink, and there were small white clouds scattered along the edges of the horizon.

I turned to Pete. "Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow." I say, waving to him.

He waves back, before continuing to walk along the sidewalk. Secretly, I watch him turn the corner, wondering where he lived. Or rather, if he was true to his word and actually lived near here. 

No matter what the circumstance, it was nice talking to him.