vii. transfiguration

maeve's favourite lesson and alway been transfiguration. it was trait that she had apparently gotten from her father, who remus had told her was the top student in their classes back in the day.

on top of her love for the subject, maeve was very good at it. she had never received below an e (exceeds expectations) in the class and had gotten an o (outstanding) in her owls. the class was basically the only chance she had to relax all year because mcgonagall loved her and maeve found the work easy.

this is why, even when she found out she wouldn't have transfiguration with eddie anymore, maeve was still looking forward to the lesson. she might have a bit of a struggle trying to find a seat but mcgonagall would likely have seating plan, so all would be fine.

however, when maeve reached the classroom, her positive attitude immediately turned sour. standing at the back of the classroom was fred weasley and, as much as mcgonagall loved maeve, she also thought that she and fred would work well together.

maeve's worries about the seating plan were confirmed when 'potter next to weasley' was called and george wasn't the person staring at her. she squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her fist. sighing, she walked over to her new desk and threw down her bag.

whispers sounded from around the classroom, everyone knowing about their situation and everyone loving to add fuel to the fire.

maeve rolled her eyes and turned her attention to mcgongall. transfiguration probably wouldn't even require much partner work. the seating plan was just to control noise levels and god knows that maeve and fred wouldn't be talking.

maeve repeated this bought in her head like a mantra, believing that if she said it enough it would come true.

unfortunately, this was one spell that wouldn't work for wizards and witches and mcgonagall's first instruction was to talk to your partner and discuss a project that you could do to impress her and secure your place in newt level potions.

"ok, fred, i was thinking-" maeve started.

"that's fun, i was thinking too." he said in what he thought was a sassy manner.

"ok, we can both share our ideas then. my idea was a human transfiguration. we could each turn the other person into their spirit animal or something along those lines." maeve told him.

"i was thinking that we could just turn my cleansweep into a firebolt," fred said.

if it were anyone else, maeve would've laughed. but fred had a natural talent of pissing her off so instead, she had to tell him off.

she rolled her eyes. "that's hardly going to get us a good grade, take this seriously please?" she requested.

"oh, i'm sorry, maeve. just trying to add some humour to the situation." fred retorted sarcastically.

"we hardly need humour fred. i need to become a healer at st mungos so i need to pass my transfiguration newts," she smiled mockingly after stressing every 'need' in her sentence.

"wow, it's almost like we're still dating with how controlling you're being!" fred whispered as loud as her can, trying not to attract attention from classmates.

"i'm not controlling and i don't think you should be bringing that up, fred! don't be stupid!"

★彡

"fred! don't be stupid!" maeve laughed.

"i'm always stupid, evie," he grinned, as he dangled from the tree.

the sun was shining and both hogwarts students had discarded their cloaks and untucked their t-shirts. it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and both were getting some fresh air after their defence against the dark arts owl, which was ridiculously easy when your guardian was the teacher.

"seriously, fred, please get down." maeve pleaded, trying to keep a stern face.

fred jumped down and picked maeve up, swinging her around. they laughed together, voices filtering in to a seemingly perfect harmony.

it was july 1994 and maeve and fred were leaving each other to go home for the summer in just over a week. neither really wanted to but they'd be able to see each other soon enough.

"i'm going to miss you, freddie," said maeve candidly.

"and i'll miss you too, evie!" he replied cheerfully, "at least dad has managed to get the tickets for the quidditch world cup, though. you and harry and hermione can all come and it'll be great! maybe bill and charlie can come as well!"

maeve smiled at his enthusiasm. she had always loved quidditch but had a badly broken leg when she was 14 that meant she could no longer play it. the injury had been awful at the time but quidditch wasn't an option for her future profession, just like she had told professor flitwick months ago in their career consultations.

"i suppose i can survived a week or so with you, though it might be hard," maeve swigged, as if she were hard done by.

"you take that back, maeve euphemia potter! you take that back!" fred began to chase her until they were both worn out and sitting in front of the lake.

"maeve?" asked fred.

maeve turned to him, shielding her eyes from the sunlight.

"do you want to go to hogsmede with me tomorrow?" fred looked nervous.

maeve hesitated slightly. was he asking her on a date? should she ask if he was?

"if you don't want to, that's ok!" fred stuttered quickly, taking her hesitation as a bad thing.

"no, i would like to, fred, really! i just- i was wondering if you meant as a date or as friends?" it was maeve's turn to feel nervous.

"i mean, i meant as a date but if you don't want that, then friends is fine. whichever you would prefer," fred rambled.

"that's sounds great, freddie. it's a date," she smiled and kissed his cheek lightly, before they both ran into their last transfiguration class of the year.

★彡

maeve shook herself out of her day dream as she sighed. "let's just get this other with, yeah? mcgonagall won't want us the switch partners and we can be mature about this."

fred nodded, too tired to argue, and they finished the lesson with the least amount of talking they could possibly work with.

keira's note!
very short today lads i'm sorry
hope your all doing well though and that your actually enjoying the shit i write!
(just noticed an error sorry if you guys get a notification for this)