x. detention with dolores

harry and maeve had decided to just meet at umbridge's office when they learnt that their detentions were at the same time. both were going to have dinner beforehand but harry usually ate during the first half of dinner being out and maeve ate at the end.

that day, she had been in the library trying to apply the theory to her defence against the dark arts spells. it hadn't worked very well, but her frustration was probably stopping her from doing the best she could.

she had ran to dinner in the last ten minutes and grabbed a slice of pizza. luckily this left her with enough time to change into her own clothes before the detention. though hogwarts uniforms were comfortable, she preferred to be in her own clothes. she had just pulled on some jeans and a cosy jumper that she stole from remus. when he had found out, she had been told that her dad actually bought it for him one christmas and that's why there was a werewolf pun on the front.

maeve ran to the detention, hoping to not get another one from being late. she got there just as umbridge was opening her office door to greet them.

"hello, my dears, good evening. now, why don't you come on in." she said sweetly.

maeve raised her eyebrow at harry whispering "well this is our first sibling bonding session in detention."

harry's lips turned up as he stifled a laugh, following his sister into the office.

"would either of you like a cup of tea," umbridge ask, pouring her self out a cup.

the potter siblings shook their heads in unison and muttered 'no thank you', looking more like siblings than they ever had. they both looked around their teacher's office. it, much like her clothing, was mostly pink. the walls, the carpet and the rug were all sickly shades of the colour with her desk and chair being cream coloured with gold accents. maeve noticed a picture of cornelius fudge, the minister for magic, on her desk.

okay, maeve thought, slightly creepy.

"now, my dears, i want you to write 'i must not tell lies'" umbridge told them as she handed them paper and quills.

"how many times?" harry asked.

"as many times as it takes for the message to... sink in," umbridge told them, a sinister smirk plastered on her face.

maeve knew that detention wouldn't be enjoyable but she suddenly had an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"you haven't given us any ink, professor," maeve said cautiously, suddenly realising she should be more pleasant to umbridge.

"oh, those are... special quills. you won't be needing any ink," umbridge told them.

the potter siblings exchanged looks and harry shrugged. they both grabbed a quill and started writing.

'i must not tell lies' was now written on maeves parchment and a sharp pain shot through her arm.

a bit early to get a cramp, maeve thought.

she looked over to harry, just checking that he was ok, and saw him scribbling away, so returned to her lines.

as she continued, the pain in her hand got worse and worse. maeve saw harry glance up at umbridge, who said "yes?"

"nothing," harry muttered, looking to his sister.

maeve turned her hand over and saw the red patch on the back of her hand. she frowned but carried on writing, wanting the detention to be over as soon as possible.

she wrote 'i must not tell lies' once again and checked her hand as a precaution, hoping that she was just being paranoid. instead, she saw the words she was writing being cut into her skin and then healing over.