xv. attack on arthur

maeve was in a peaceful slumber when she was rudely awoken by professor mcgonagall. she had went to sleep early and dreamt of a world without voldemort, where her mum and dad were happy and alive and harry didn't have the constant pressure of saving the world on his shoulders.

"miss potter," mcgonagall said as she shook the student awake, "maeve, dear, you must come with me."

having only just woken up, maeve was very confused. she blearily wipes her eyes and stood up. she grabbed a cardigan she had stolen from remus from the side and her glasses (surprise- she wore contacts most of the time, though she'd never let anyone find out.).

"professor, what's going on?" she said as they left the common room.

climbing out of the portrait hole, she was met with harry, ron, ginny, fred and george. unfortunately, her and fred still had not made up.

no one bothered to answer her, but she noticed that they all looked shaken up.

"hey, harry, are you ok?" she asked her younger brother as they walked.

"no, not really," he whispered.

her eyes softened and she decided to not press for answers. she wrapped her arms around him as they carried on walking.

the route they were taking was familiar to maeve, making her notice that they were going to see dumbledore in his office.

they quickly reached the gargoyle statue that stood in front of dumbledore's office.

"fizzing whizzbee!" mcgonagall shouted impatiently.

the group of students followed their transfiguration teacher and they all filed into the room. maeve didn't even have time to admire the shelves full of books, she was too focused on whatever was going wrong. she did take the time, however, to hug harry properly and kiss the side of his head.

"i know i have no clue what's going on, but i'm sure everything will be fine, haz," she reassured.

mcgonagall knocked on a door three times and professor dumbledore came out of it.

"what is the matter, minerva?" dumbledore asked her.

"mr potter has had a dream," mcgonagall told him.

maeve squinted her eyes. this was all about a dream? her brother had no problem clearing it up, but maeve wasn't listening at this point, now trying to reassure ron and ginny. she wasn't ignoring the twins on purpose- they were just comforting each other.

maeve was bought back to reality by dumbledore saying "and how exactly did you see this, harry?"

"well, inside my head, i guess," he replied testily.

"you misunderstand me," dumbledore carried on in the same calm tone, "how were you positioned when you saw this play out? maybe you were the victim, or you were standing beside the scene-"

"i was the snake," harry seemed hesitant to admit it.

snake? maeve really had missed a crucial part of the conversation. she tuned out once again because of how tired she was, falling asleep for a few moments on ron's shoulder, as he had his arm wrapped around her to stop her from falling.

"phineas!" screamed dumbledore, waking maeve all of a sudden.

"phineas, you must go to your other portrait and ask sirius if some guests may stay with him for a while." order dumbledore.

the portrait dumbledore was talking to disappeared and the group anxiously awaiting its returned.

when it came back, it said, "he said he'd be delighted. my great-great-grandson always did have an odd taste in house guests."

fawkes, dumbledore's phoenix, screeched.

"that's his warning, umbridge must know that you are out of bed," dumbledore told them, "quick, hurry up- before someone else joins us. you've all use a portkey before, i suppose?"

they nodded and reached out for a part of the blackened kettle.

"good-" dumbledore continued, "on the count of three... one... two..."

the portkey went just before dumbledore could say three, and suddenly the weasleys and potters found themselves on the floor in grimmauld place.

sirius hurried towards them all, "what's going on?" he asked, while helping maeve and ginny up.

"phineas said-" he started

"ask harry," fred interrupted.

"yeah, i'd like to hear this for myself." george carried on.

"i mean, yeah i actually have no clue what's going on," maeve added, hugging sirius.

"it was-" harry hesitated, "i kind of had a vision."

he told them what he had seen- arthur weasley being attacked by a snake. as the story progressed, maeve found herself tearing up and hugging ginny in hope of comforting her.

the weasleys all decided that's they needed to see their dad, to which sirius replied that they couldn't. the ministry didn't even know about mr weasley's condition, so it would be suspicious for them to know. the argument escalated until it was just fred shouting at sirius. maeve was half tempted to reach out and pat his back or something but that was too awkward for her and she was still angry at him.

eventually fred lost is and yelled "easy for you to say, stuck here! i dont see you risking your neck!"

sirius' face drained of all colour and maeve felt herself getting angry.

"hey, cut it out fred! sirius can't help it!" she spoke to him for the first time in over a month.

he looked at her and visibly calmed down a bit, but still look murderous.

"just- calm down you guys," sirius said, "i know it's hard, but we just need to stay here until st mungos tell your mum about the situation so that you are allowed to visit, ok?"

the weasleys and maeve and harry sat down at the dining table as sirius bought them each a butterbeer to calm them down. eventually everyone went off to bed, bar maeve who wanted to talk to her brothers godfather.

"sirius?" she asked.

"yeah, kid?" he replied, rubbing his eyes.

"will- will mr weasley be ok?" she questioned, tearing up again.

"oh, mae, he'll be fine, i'm sure of it." he bought his best friend's daughter into a hug.

"i just don't want him to- to die or something," she sobbed into his chest.

"mae, listen to me when i say he will be fine! look, i think your tiredness is making you even more upset, so i think you should go upstairs and get some sleep. we can all talk properly in the morning, when your uncle moony comes by as well, ok?" he told her.

"ok," she agreed, she hesitated slightly before saying, "i love you, padfoot."

his heart swelled and a smile adorned his face, "i love you too, maevie."

keira's note!
kinda love maeve and sirius's relationship. like wbk that he'd be soooo protective over her since the day she was born.
anyway, hope you enjoyed despite how short this is lmao