xii. hogsmede

although she had deemed it a good idea, maeve certainly didn't think that harry and his friends would managed to sort out a meeting for the defence against the dark arts organisation so quickly.

after they had asked her for her opinion, it had only taken them a week to get a large group of people to meet at the hogs head, a run down bar in hogsmede.

maeve and eddie now found themselves walking to the pub. maeve felt anxious and didn't really know why- maybe because she knew that harry, ron and hermione were all quite socially awkward and she was worried that they'd humiliate themselves.

"oh god, what if we've left it too late and we can't sit together!" maeve panicked, grabbing onto eddie's arm.

"merlin, maeve, we have other friends," eddie told her, a serious look on his face, before a smile broke out on it, "harvey said he'd be at the meeting, i'd quite like to sit with him,"

maeve grinned, not used to eddie talking about his crushes, "ok, as long as you don't interrupt my little brother by snogging sinclair's face off!"

eddie gasped and punched her arm lightly as they entered the pub.

much like maeve had previously thought, there wasn't much space in the hogs head. considering how many people didn't believe harry, a lot of people had shown up.

maeve and eddie turned to each other. "i don't think we'll get seats together," eddie said to him.

"look," maeve pointed, "harvey's got a seat next to him! go sit there and i'll find somewhere else!"

after a moment of hesitation, eddie nodded and went to sit next to his crush. maeve scanned the room for a spare seat, finding one next to fred. she grinned and walked over there.

"anyone sitting here?" she asked.

he turned to her and returned the grin.

"nope," he told her, "george has ditched me for the girl he likes,"

maeve plopped down onto the chair, "which girls that?"

he pointed to a pretty girl with light brown hair, laughing at something george had said while he grinned proudly.

"aw, they'd be cute!" maeve told him, "i mean they already are, they clearly like each other,"

"exactly! i've been trying to tell george that she's basically in love with him for ages!" fred exclaimed, making the two they were talking about turn over to them. maeve smiled at the girl, who smiled back.

"don't embarrass him!" maeve tried to shush him slightly.

"he always used to embarrass us!" fred pointed out, rolling his eyes.

maeve stuck her tongue out at him as a new person sat in front of her and turned around. she was glad that they were finally able to talk about their relationship without it being awkward or ending in an argument.

"hey, maeve," noel miller said to her.

"hey, noel!" maeve replied enthusiastically, making fred's eyes dart to her due to his confusion, "how are you?"

"i'm good, thanks, maeve," noel smiled, "you?"

"oh, i'm fine. just waiting for harry to talk to everyone," maeve blushed lightly when she saw fred's eyebrows raise slightly from the corner of her eye.

as soon as she had finished talking, hermione stood up at the front of the room. maeve could feel her nervous energy radiating off of her.

"er- well hi," hermiones voice was higher than usual, "well- erm, well, you know why you're here. well, harry here had the idea--i mean, i had the idea--that it might be good if people who wanted to study defence against the dark arts-and i mean, really study it, you know, not the rubbish that umbridge is doing with us because nobody could call that defence against the dark arts. well, i thought it would be good if we, well, took matters into our own hands."

"where's the proof that you-know-who is back?" a stocky blonde at the front said. maeve rolled her eyes to fred who stifled a chuckle.

"well dumbledore believes it-" hermione started.

"you mean dumbledore believes him!" the blonde boy interrupted. maeves dislike for this boy was growing bigger and bigger.

"who are you?" maeve and ron said at the same time, both with a rude edge to their voices. if she hadn't been so angry, she would have looked up at him in shock, maybe doing some finger guns in his direction.

"zacharias smith. and i think i have the right to know what makes everyone think you-know-who is back." the hufflepuff retorted.

"look, that's not what this meeting it about-" hermione interrupted swiftly.

"it's ok, hermione," harry said, explaining why he knew that voldemort had returned. he carried on, telling people to leave if they were only there to hear the gossip about cedric diggory's death.

the meeting carried on rather smoothly until zacharias smith decided to interrupt once again.

"are you trying to weasel out of showing us this stuff?" he challenged.

"here's an idea!" spoke ron loudly, "why don't you shut your mouth?"

"well, we've all showed up so that we can learn from him and he's telling us that he can't actually do any of the stuff we think he can!" smith argued.

before maeve herself could come to harrys defensive, her ex boyfriend snarled, "that's not what he said!"

"would you like us to clean your ears out for you?" george added on, pulling out a long stick from zonko's.

"or any part of your body, actually. we arent fussy about where we put it," fred said. maeve smiled at him appreciatively for defending harry.

before she knew it, the meeting was over and they were all forming a line so that they could sign their names in a piece of paper. maeve stood next to fred, the two of them chatting some more.

she signed the sheet quickly and stood the the side.

"well done, you three," she smiled warmly, hugging harry, "honestly, though i wanted to punch smith so badly!"

she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to face eddie.

"maevie, can i skip our plans? harvey's asked me to go around with him!" eddie asked her desperately.

"of course you can! oh my god i'm so excited for you!" maeve enthused. "i'll find something else to do, don't worry!"

eddie thanked her and sped off and she turned back around to talk to her brother some more. he hesitated before asking if she wanted to join them.

"no," she laughed, "that's fine, thank you for the offer. i shouldn't cramp your style, or else cho chang might not want to snog you anymore!"

at her words, harry turned bright red and his friends laughed. they all said goodbye and they left to go to other shops.

"hey," fred said, "i've also been ditched again!"

"wow, today isn't a good day for us is it?" maeve said sarcastically.

"wanna go to honeydukes?" fred asked.

"only if you're going to buy me a chocolate frog!"

keira's note!
tell me why this was the hardest chapter to write ever omg.
we hit 1k reads!!! thank you all so much!!