xxiii. declaration

love was a hard concept for maeve euphemia potter to wrap her head around. growing up she had no parents and everything felt temporary. she was scared of putting herself out there and being rejected or being hurt later on down the line. as far as maeve potter was aware, she would only tell someone she loved them when she was absolutely 100% positive that their relationship- whether it was platonic or romantic- was permanent.

maeve potter had only proven herself right when fred weasley told her that he loved her and their relationship ended right after.

love was for fools or for family.

maeve potter had realised she was completely enamoured with fred weasley when they were 17 years old, when she was speaking to her best friend. the thought of it scared her and she knew that she would get hurt in the end.

she had decided not to tell fred that she loved him. not only were they not together, but she was frightened.

maeve potter realised that love was not something to fear when her and fred had been sitting in the library revising and he had been trying to catch bertie botts every flavour beans in his mouth. maeve had been muffling her laughs as she admired the look of pride on fred's face. it was that moment that she realised that whatever her and fred had was permanent and there was no way either of them could get hurt.

maeve had kept her revelation to herself. they had been back together for only two months. it was too early, no matter how much she did love him. she was also going to wait until she knew that the feeling was completely mutual. she wasn't scared of love anymore but she was scared of rejection. fred wouldn't say it back after them only being together for two months and she didn't want to be hurt like he had been when he had said the three words.

maeve thought all of this while listening to fred talking passionately about his and his brothers  joke shop.

"i'm just saying, this is it for me and george! it's what we have always wanted to do and we're actually good at it! we can cheer people up during the war and we can profit off of it so much. we have so many good ideas and other people clearly agree! we've already sold so much!" he ranted.

maeve smiled at him and reached out to cup his face, kissing him slowly.

"what was that for?" he asked as they broke apart.

"can a girl not kiss her boyfriend?" she asked.

fred continued to rant about the joke shop that him and george had decided to call 'weasley's wizard wheezes', until he said, "and that's why we've decided to do what we're going to do," he told her.

"what have you decided?" maeve was nothing but confused.

"george and i are dropping out. we don't need newts so we aren't doing them," he said finally.

thoughts whirled around maeves head but the most prominent was "when?"

"we're going to leave tomorrow," he told her.

"what?" she shrieked.

"jeez, i didn't realise that exams were that important to you," he joked.

"i'm not going to see you for so long!" she said, her eyes filling with tears.

his face dropped at her sadness, "i'm so sorry."

she leaped over to him and wrapped her arms around him as tightly as she possibly could.

"if it's easier for you, we can just break up," fred told her, with a tone that clearly showed that her wasn't just joking around.

maeve immediately let go of him as if he was suddenly made out of fire. she couldn't find any words to say to him, tears now pouring out of her eyes. maybe love was still for fools, maybe it really was just temporary.

"why would you say that?" she asked, emotionless, "you- you want to break up with me?"

"no!" he shouted. " i don't at all, i just thought-"

"you're an idiot, fred weasley!" she laughed tearily, though her voice still reeked of anger.

"i'm sorry! i just-" he started to explain.

maeve had a sudden surge of confidence.

now or never, she thought.

"i love you," she said loudly.

it was his turn to be shocked.  his jaw dropped to the floor and his eyebrows raised so far up that they were now invisible.

"i- uh- it's okay if you don't say it back, i just wanted to tell you that i do because i do and i have for ages now but i was scared and-" maeve was suddenly regretting her decision to open up to him and she was blurting out excuses to make her feel better about saying the words that she hated.

she was shut up when fred's lips touched hers and he mumbled "i love you more,"

maeve laughed happily and hugged her boyfriend.

words that terrified her now made her the happiest she had ever been, the most fulfilled she had ever felt. she could feel her heart beating out of her rib cage and relief had flooded her body.

"i cant believe we just-" she said.

"i know! i love you, maeve potter!" he shouted.

"i love you, fred weasley!" she shouted back.

the two teens in love spent the rest of that night together, making sure they cherished their time together before fred left the next day.

★彡

fred and george were flying the population of hogwarts, setting off fireworks and advertising their new business. they looked the happiest they had been in a while and it was clear that this was what they were always supposed to be doing. fred and george weasley may not have been academic but they were two of the smartest people maeve had ever met.

"we said that we love each other last night," she whispered to eddie while she watched the weasley twins fly away from their childhood.

"you what?" he exclaimed.

"me and fred love each other," she smiled, content with where life had led her.

keira's note!
decent? hopefully
short? definitely
two epilogues left and then yalls will never see fred and maeve again!
hopefully you've enjoyed and i've made this whole story ok :)