xiv. the break up

since their reconciliation, maeve and fred had not argued once. they were as happy as they could possibly be. they went to hogsmede together after they had for the first time, earlier that year. they made frequent trips to the kitchens today. they had even been partnered together in more of their classes and got on exceedingly well, always turning in assignments with almost prefect marks. hell, they'd even partnered up in every single da meeting.

maeve potter and fred weasley were happy and they were returning their relationship to how it had been before the winter of 1994.

of course, everyone should've known that it wouldn't last.

whilst people had been wary of their relationship at the beginning, they were all starting to realise that maeve and fred had put their past behind them. and good riddance! all of them loved maeve and fred together. they fit like two pieces of a puzzle, or opposite ends of a magnet. no one could deny that they worked. it was that simple and it almost always would be.

key word being almost.

despite how well they fit together and the fact that they were opposite ends of a magnet, no one could deny how different they were.

fred's eyes were light blue, icy but welcoming. maeves were a deep hazel, amber mixed with green and brown, warm but calculating.

fred hair was a light red and maeves was deep black, darker than that if the nights sky.

one similarity was how hot headed they were. fred was raw anger, deep and unforgiving. maeve had an anger so consuming that it forced you to cry. these angers didn't mix well together. against each other, they created the worst of arguments, creating a flame that wouldn't die out. together, they were unforgiving.

this is why it took so long for maeve and fred to forgive each other after their breakup and why the people close to them hoped and prayed that they would never have another fight.

but peace was always disrupted at one point or another, and this was no exception.

really, maeve couldn't remember why the argument started. it was one of their weekly trips to the kitchen as she made an offhand comment about loving the mango sorbet that dobby had given her.

obviously fred was in a bad mood that day because he replied to her with a snarky comment and these comments escalated and escalated until-

"why can't you admit it!" fred screeched.

"admit what?" maeve yelled back, her desperation to know what they were arguing about consuming her, tears leaking out of the corners of her eyes.

"you're the reason we broke up!" he said, calmer this time.

"newsflash, fred, it takes two to break up a relationship!"

"yeah, you and diggory!"

"what? are we really back on this? fred, cedric and i are- were just friends! barely even that! we just talked every now and then, just like you and angelina, or any of the other girls in our year!" maeve yelled.

"ok, well the other reason we broke up was still your fault!" he yelled. "you know it! you can't deny that one!"

maeve knew he was right. she couldn't deny his statement.

★彡

the day of the yule ball was cold. the evening especially made girls wish that they had ruined their outfit's aesthetic and that they had bought a coat with them.

as maeve potter and fred weasley stormed outside, snow flurried around them and maeve had wrapped her arms around her body, trying to comfort herself.

"what are you trying to say fred? that i'd cheat on you?" maeve laughed like a mad woman at the absurd claim.

"it bloody well looked like it in there!" fred shouted. " 'oh, cedric! your dress robes looks great!' and 'oh cedric! you're such a great dancer!'. why didnt you just bloody snog him, maeve?"

"fred! calm down- cedric and i are friends!" maeve pleaded, "i don't like him nearly as much as i like you!"

maeve started to cry- a mixture of tears from how cold she was and from how mad she was at his accusations.

at this, fred's eyes soften, "i'm sorry, evie. i just- i get really insecure. you're so pretty and i'm- im not. but diggory is and i know you'd prefer him really, but maeve! maeve, i love you!"

maeve froze- not from the cold.

"you- you what?" she stuttered.

"i love you, maeve!"

"no you don't!" she told him. "we don't- we don't love each other, not yet!"

"well, i love you, maeve. you don't- you don't feel the same way?" now fred was crying as well.

"well- no, not yet! i'm sixteen i don't understand love!"

he scoffed. "unbelievable! you are cheating, aren't you?"

maeves sadness had morphed into anger. "oh for heavens sake! if you believe that then maybe we should break up!"

"maybe we should." fred said finally.

★彡

"fred! i couldn't say it at that moment!" she told him, desperately wishing that their fight would be resolved again.

"you can say you love doughnuts and not your boyfriend? maeve we had been together for months and you just couldn't say that you loved me?" he was starting to show his vulnerability now-his eyes tearing up and his voice cracking.

"the only people that i know i love are harry, remus and eddie. i cant help that! we're seventeen fred, we don't know what romantic love is!" she told him,

"i knew what it was! i told you that i love you!" fred said, neither noticing that his statement was still in the present tense.

"i didn't though. fred, you had just accused me of sleeping with other boys, how could i tell you that i loved you?" she asked him.

fred didn't seem to have an answer for her question but he opened his mouth regardless.

"no, fred!" maeve told him, grabbing the jumper she had bought with her, "i'm done with this! just don't talk to me ok? at least not until you realise how ridiculous you're being!"

she stormed out of the kitchens, hearing his footsteps behind her. she ignored whatever he was shouting and ran back to the ravenclaw tower.

she answered the riddle 'what has to be broken before you can use it' with a quiet 'an egg', despite how much she wanted to say 'my heart', and ignored eddies greeting of "yo maevery", storming into her dorm and flinging her self onto her bed.

within seconds, all of the tears she had been holding in burst out of her eyes. whilst she sobbed, she hugged sphere pillow and wished that her sadness would just go away.

if they were just friends then why did this feel so much like a breakup?

keira's note!
ah so that just happened!
it was rlly bad and short lol i'm sorry but it's what ur getting!
what did you think?
stay safe!