Chapter 5: Blend In

Fact: I'm a sucker for a good alt British band. What are your go to jams? 

Anyhow, song is for the start of the chapter!

DarlaH

The books in my locker practically jumped out of the cramped space the next day, crushing me. I shoved them into my backpack with some difficulty with my wrapped wrist.

A yawn escaped my lips like a runaway dog. I felt groggy since my alarm went off this morning since I forgot to take any pain killer last night and my wrist kept me up most of the night. It didn't help that Miles texted me a few times during the night, either.

Sometime around 1:30, I ended up falling asleep in the middle of a conversation about the fall in Maine. When I texted him this morning to continue the conversation, he didn't respond which made my stomach knot up.

I wanted to be mad at him for throwing me off my board, but the more I talked to him, the more I started to like him. Miles seemed so genuine, like he actually cared about me. I had seen a lot of fakers, since that was all of Tristen's friends, or how my soccer team faked being too busy to talk to me. But Miles didn't seem like those people.

"What's this?" Zoe asked as she leaned against the locker next to mine.

I shook my head to clear my mind as I followed her gaze to my wrapped hand. "I fell from the skateboard."

"Off the board? You never fall off."

I shrugged. "Just had a klutzy moment."

Zoe frowned. She could always see straight through me.

Just as I was about to dive into the details about Miles, Camden came up to us. I closed my mouth knowing he would blab anything he learned to Isaac since they were friends. I shot him a look, warning him to leave, but he merely smirked at me, unmoving from his spot. He wanted to get under my skin, just like Isaac and it was working.

Couldn't he just get hit by a car and never return?

"I'll tell you the story later," I said to her as the bell rang, saving me from an awkward moment.

Zoe nodded with a smile, unaware I was avoiding the conversation because of her boyfriend. "Sounds good to me."

My shoes squeaked against laminate flooring until I sat down in the first period classroom. Pulling out my books, I shrunk, hoping that no one would notice me. I just stopped being the topic of discussion, I couldn't afford to be the most talked about again.

"Hey, how did that happen?" Isaac's voice rang out.

I glared at him. He was trying to pretend that he was concerned, but he wasn't. "Please go away."

He sat down next to me, even though it wasn't his seat. "Not until you tell me what happened."

"Isaac, I'm not playing around," I said, my voice turning more serious.

He flinched, not expecting me to stand up for myself. He glared at me for a moment before he stood up. "You better watch yourself," he sneered and left to return to his normal seat.

And did he think I would date him after all of this? Seeing this side of him made my hair stand on edge. I still couldn't believe that I put up with him for six months. Shaking my head, I turned back to the book on my desk. I loved my brother, but his recommendations for men were terrible.

By the time lunch came around, I found myself sitting next to Zoe at our normal lone table in the cafeteria. "Where's Camden?" I asked her as she pulled out her lunch.