Chapter 7: What Do You Know?

Song for the start of the chapter!

My foot bounced to a song that blasted through my headphones as I waited for the teacher to come into class. I was early to school today, not sure how that happened, but it did. I smiled, realizing I liked this song Miles sent me this morning which meant Miles was quickly learning my music taste, and I liked that. No one had ever done that before, and it meant a lot.

"What the hell is this?" Zoe asked, slamming a newspaper on my desk. She moved her hands to allow me to see Miles and I on the front cover.

I pulled my earbuds out as I looked at the photo. He had such a determination in his face, but I was a dear in the headlights, looking as confused as ever. The image was cringy and I wished they picked a different one. "This really isn't a wonderful photo," I pouted.

"That's all you have to say? What you have been doing?" she asked, looking hurt that I didn't share this juicy information with her.

Our outing hit the news in record timing, I didn't think it would come out so fast. Miles warned me it might be in the news, but I didn't believe him. It was only Wednesday, and we went to dinner on Friday, that was only a few days ago but now here we were in class and Zoe deserved an explanation. To be honest, there were so many times I wanted to share details, but Camden was always around at the most inconvenient times. "Remember the sprained wrist at the skate park?"

She nodded in silence.

"Kit Keen accidentally did that to me. He felt bad, so he took me to dinner."

She looked awestruck, not believing it, but honestly, I couldn't either. Why would someone as famous as Miles be interested in me? "I'm speechless, Isla. Wait, did you know who he was before this all happened?"

I shook my head as she burst out laughing. "Of course this would happen to you. You're hanging out with a massive pop star, but you don't even like pop music nor know who he is," she said as she wiped a tear from her eye.

I chuckled at the humor in the situation. "You're right. Just my luck."

"Does he know about your taste in music?" she asked with a smirk.

"Yeah. And he likes it."

"Are you sure he's telling the truth?"

I nodded at her. I believed him when he told me he liked my songs and asked for recommendations. "I'm just as amazed as you are."

"You have to spill girl, are you dating Kit?" Zoe asked as she sat down in a seat next to me that wasn't hers.

A guy that normally sat next to me walked up to us with a frown. "Excuse me?" he asked Zoe, wanting her to move from his seat.

Zoe gave him a look as if what he did was rude. "Find somewhere else to sit," she commanded him.

Without another word, he scurried off to find some other seat, reminding me that Zoe could have such force behind her words.

Quickly, Zoe turned back to me, ready to continue this conversation. "Ok, so are you dating him?"

No. I didn't know him well. Isaac was the last time I would run into a relationship. For now, and probably forever, we were just friends. Miles was only that, and that was probably the best thing for both of us. "No, I'm don't think so." And I was ok with that. I knew it was only time until he moved out of this town, and I didn't want to get my heart crushed when he did that. Staying friends was a safe option, especially when I just got out of a relationship myself.

"What? You don't know? Isla, are you getting played?" she asked with concern.

I trusted Miles. He wasn't a player. For right now, we were only friends. "We're just friends."