Chapter 10: Do You Even Remember

Bright sun shined in my face, waking me up no matter how hard I tried to fight it. With a yawn, I checked the time to see that it was already 10AM. As I stretched, I felt my body ache, reminding me of all the dancing I did the night before.

My mind went back to last night's party and how the cops came. But before we snuck out, I don't think I remembered a time when I was that happy in the last year. Miles made me laugh, dance, and remember what it was to be carefree.

The memory of driving him here and spending the night ran across my mind in a slight panic. He spent the night. He was in my bed. I looked up to see my bed already made and empty. The only thing on it was Miles' Gucci jacket he wore last night, a reminder that he was once here. My eyes lingered on the empty bed as if it would call him back, feeling myself soar with disappointment. A part of me wanted him to be here when I woke up, but I should have known that he would leave before anyone woke to save himself the embarrassment.

As I pushed myself out of bed, I felt my world spin slightly. Yup, I danced too hard.

My eyes glanced at my shirtless body, hoping he didn't see the hot pink bra that I wore. A T-shirt I stole from Tristen was pulled hastily over my head before I headed downstairs.

As I opened my bedroom door, laughter and music filled the house from downstairs. It was a sound I hadn't heard in far too long. The combination instantly embraced me, warming my soul like a hug. Emotions, memories filled my mind as I remembered times when Dad would play music on the weekends and Everly would sing along since she was often an early riser.

Unable to think about it any longer, I took a deep breath, trying to convince myself to keep it together.

Breathe

Dad's voice echoed my mind, forcing me to take another breath. I felt my stomach growl, signaling I had to eat something or I would get hangry. As I walked down the stairs, I heard Miles' voice as well. "No, you flip them like this," he said as Everly laughed.

"And it looks like you're a pro," she retorted at him.

I walked into the kitchen and saw Miles trying to flip a pancake over the stove. Everly was right beside him, filming, while Mom sat on a barstool and oversaw everything.

Miles turned to face me with a smile. His eyes were bright and awake, with no signs of a hangover in sight, which made me surprised since he drank so much last night. I thought for sure he'd be nursing a hangover and fuzzy eyes. "Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," he stated to me.

Sleeping Beauty? I liked that. "Good morning." I smiled as I sat down next to Mom on the other bar stool. I wiped my eyes, trying to wake up, making me wonder if I was really seeing things correctly.

Mom threw me a look, wondering what happened last night. She was clearly worried about the whole thing by the way she looked at me. "He didn't feel well enough to go home on his own," I whispered, trying to make sure he didn't hear it.

"Yeah, and Isla was a gem of a friend, and let me crash here for the night. She didn't want me to get in an accident on my way home," Miles said as he turned to face us with a smile.

Oh, he was smooth. I nodded. "That's exactly what happened."

"Ok, I trust you. But I don't want this to become a habit," she said firmly.

"He's just a friend. Nothing happened," I said, repeating what Miles said with a smile.

Miles nodded. "Yes, just platonic."

Those words were like rocks in my stomach. I didn't like them, and I couldn't help but wonder if he remembered what happened last night. How he said his life was better since I came into it, and I felt the same about him. I was thinking we had something more than a platonic relationship, and I thought he believed the same.