Chapter 30: Every Day

Miles looked over the sloppy handwritten lyrics he wrote the night before. He couldn't believe that Rodger didn't like the song, but he thought it was beautiful.

He shook his right hand to make the burning feeling in his arm go away although it didn't help, it never did. The tingling in his right arm was getting worse as the days went on, causing his handwriting to worsen. He was sure his worsening symptoms had to do with the heat in Porto, since the heat always made him feel worse.

With a sigh, he looked at the guitar on the other side of the room. For a moment, he debated if it was worth it to stand up from the seat and get it. He felt so tired and had no more energy for the day. This tour was wearing him to the ground. Even though Rodger gave him pills to help, they didn't work as well as he hoped them to.

Finally, he stood up from the chair and grabbed his guitar to record the song and post it to his channel. Regardless of what Rodger told him, he knew his fans would like it. But he wasn't doing this for his fans, he was doing this for Isla. Still no messages from her and he was getting desperate. He just hoped she heard it.

A deep breath filled his lungs as he set his phone to record. "It's been a while since I have done one of these," he said to his phone with a forced smile. "I thought it was time to break the silence. Whether it be summer or winter where you are in the world, I'm sure this song will ring true to so many." And with that, he started to strum the guitar.

<><><><>

I tossed my crappy flip phone in the air and caught it as I waited until Everly got home from her after school cheer practice.

A knock at the door rang through the house. There was a knock again, telling me they wouldn't leave.

I was the only one home, which meant I had to get up from my comfy seat on the couch.

I opened the door to see Zoe on the other side. Instantly a heatwave hit my face. Spring was already warm, so the summer was bound to be hot.

Zoe pushed her brown hair behind her ears with a smile. "Hey." She walked into the house without waiting for an answer. "Listen to this song Isla."

Without wasting a minute, she played a slow song on her phone as she walked into the family room and took a seat. I followed her lead, listening to the lyrics carefully.

It was clear it was Miles; I would recognize his voice anywhere.

My stomach flipped as I thought about him. I missed him. But I still hadn't been brave enough to send him a message, mainly because he hadn't sent me any direct messages on my social media either. I didn't want to seem desperate or distracting.

Quickly my attention turned back to his song. It had emotion and dimension that I hadn't heard in a while. I couldn't help but smile, happy that he finally posted something that was 100% him. This is what I had been waiting for him to do.

"This is from Miles' YouTube channel. He just released it a few hours ago. Isla, if this isn't about you, I don't know what is," Zoe said and pointed at her phone after the song ended.

As much as I wanted to believe it, I wouldn't get my hopes up. With my phone still lost out there, I didn't even know if he texted me. But he probably hadn't. He was too busy, and the world was probably more important than me.

"Before you say that you broke up and there was no point in talking about it, I don't want to hear it. This song is clear that he still has feelings for you. Have you ever tried to reach out to him?"

I shook my head, causing my hair to fall out of the loose bun. I was honestly too scared to do that. What if he didn't want me back in his life? He had been so silent, which made me believe that there was nothing to talk about.