Chapter 16: This Will Pass

"Stop! You're going too fast," Everly complained as I kicked the soccer ball away from her the next day in the school field. In protest, she stopped running and put her hands on her muddy knees.

"You wanted to practice. This is going to get you prepared for the spring tryouts," I chuckled as I scooped up the ball in my hands.

I was in a surprisingly great mood even though it was freezing cold, gray, and otherwise icky day. When Everly texted me earlier today saying she wanted to practice after school, this was the only thing I could think of. I was grateful for this instead of stressing about Miles.

"But I need a break," she breathed.

When I met her on the field, she looked cute, with her hair in a loose bun and short shorts and an off the shoulder t-shirt. She looked like she was going to the mall, not to the field, but now her hair was a mess and mud was up to her thighs from falling on the soft ground.

Sweat had barely formed on my forehead as I ran circles around her. We had only been out here for 15 minutes, so no break was needed.

"And they call cheer a sport."

She pouted. "You did not just go there." She stomped her now muddied white sneakers.

"Hey Everly, Isla," Isaac's voice rang out.

My blood ran cold as I heard his voice. If school wasn't enough, he had to find me here. Could he just leave me alone for one moment? I thought about how he tripped me in the hall today, causing me to spill all the books in my hands. The entire hall laughed while I was struggling to get all my things together.

I watched as his friends followed him to the field. A smirk apparent as he looked at me. He wanted to make a scene. Disappointment flooded over me. He wouldn't leave me alone, not at school or elsewhere. He was making a point, and I was the example. No one stood up to Isaac and got away with it.

Isaac strutted closer as if he owned the place. "Isla, why don't you step off the field and we'll show you how it's done?"

I shook my head. Enough pretending like he didn't exist. I needed to stand up to him. If I wouldn't, who would? Isaac wasn't untouchable, he wasn't king. "No. You can be a wonderful group of boys and wait until we're done." I shooed him away with my hands.

Some of his friends chuckled at my response, but none said a word.

Isaac glared at me, warning me.

"How about, if you can steal the ball from me, you get the field? You have three tries," I smirked. "Unless you are too scared to do that."

He looked at his friends to make sure they heard that. They nodded, wanting to see a show. Isaac frowned at me. He couldn't back down now. "You're on," he said, although there was uncertainty in his eyes since we both knew who played soccer better.

Excitement buzzed through me like a bee in a flower field. This would be the first time I made him look like a fool. It was about time. I kicked the ball around as Isaac tried to get it. He lunged as I pushed the ball out of reach, causing him to fall to the ground, making his friends laugh.

"Come on, you got this." I smiled. "Show off. You're king after all."

He got up from the ground and tried to take the ball again with no luck.

"Three strikes and you're out, my friend," I said as I saw the crowd we drew. With eyes on me, my footwork became fancier as I moved the ball down the field.

He lunged again and fell into a pile of mud as he missed the ball, soiling his white sweatshirt. With fury, he scowled at me. He hated me, but maybe I hated him more.