Chapter 33: The Offender

Song is for the start of the chapter!

"Isla, let's leave this house," Everly said to me as she stood in the doorway of my room.

I shook my head as I looked up from the book I was reading. My mind flashed back to the gossip article I read about Miles and Izzy in LA. That was enough to keep me in the safety of my room. Miles was out there, happy, and I wasn't sure if I could face that yet. He hadn't written to me and I knew he moved on, but I hadn't and that was hard. "No." I was not willing to move.

Everly sighed loudly, walking into my room. Without wasting a moment, she pulled on my hand. "I'm not taking no as an answer. Mom's out of town and I just started my period. We're out of tampons and I need you to buy some for me."

I pouted. Damn it. She got me. There was no way out of this one. "Fine," I said as I stood up from my bed then quickly put on a T-shirt that matched my jean shorts.

"By the way, mom got you a new phone. I took the liberty of setting it up for you," she said and handed me a phone.

"Lovely," I said as I put the phone into my pocket, not willing to look at any of the notifications.

In a matter of 20 minutes, I found myself in the town supermarket as Everly waited in the car. I tapped my foot as I waited in line with some tampons and ice cream. My eyes glanced over at the magazines beside me and stopped when I saw Miles on the front page. The title read, "Kit Keen, released from a rehab center".

I frowned as I wondered if it was true. I wondered if Miles finally broke like I warned Rodger. Unable to fight my curiosity, I flipped the page and there on the cover was Miles with a girl, hand in hand, looking happy.

Seeing the photo was like a slap to the face. I still wasn't over him. He left a hole in my chest that I wished would heal. Even though he was back from his world tour, I had yet to see him. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see him, to be honest. That would be too painful.

"That will be $8.50," the cashier said, breaking me from my thoughts.

I nodded as I handed the cashier some cash from my jeans pocket which she promptly provided me with the receipt and with that, I took my small bag and left.

I put on my sunglasses as I stepped outside the small corner store. It was hot for the early summer. Just stepping out reminded me why I didn't like summer.

My gaze caught sight of a blond, wavy-haired man staring at me from across the street. Suddenly, I was breathless as I took a step back. Miles still made my heart stop.

I thought he moved out of town. I thought nothing would keep him here.

His green eyes shined, piercing my soul. He waved at me with a small smile, as if not sure that was the right move.

Tears pricked my eyes as I swallowed the lump in my throat. I didn't think I deserved such a response. After sending that 'hey' message, I never saw if he responded. I thought he would be angry with how we left things.

His face was a painful reminder I still ached over the loss relationship we had. Not only did I lose my boyfriend, but I lost my best friend. I wish he was hurting as much as I was, but he moved on. That much was clear in the gossip magazines. I wiped a stray tear from my cheek. I knew I couldn't have him. I lost my chance. He was so close yet so impossible to get to.

Breaking our moment was a girl with white hair who came bounding towards Miles with a smile on her face. "Oh baby, come on. You're taking too long," she said as she kissed his neck.

I recognized Izzy instantly. I wondered if they were happy.

Miles looked distraughtly at me, not caring about the girl hanging on his neck. But I didn't understand why he was hurt. Miles could have anyone he ever wanted. He could move on quickly because he was a pop star traveling the world, but I was stuck in this small town where everything reminded me of him. There was no escape, and I was devastated as I stared back at him.