iii.

[but i don't care what they say about you baby,
they don't know what you've been through]

NEWBIE

i'm bill

i'm bill. i'm fourteen. and i'm pretty sure i'm depressed. my baby brother, georgie went missing in october. he was most of the fuel i needed to contain my livelihood.

i pretend to be decently happy and emotionally stable for the most part. but when i'm alone, i have the biggest urge to cry all my feelings out.

my sketches help contain my tears most of the time. but if i can't find inspiration to draw, i let everything out.

the last day of school came, and it was nearly summer break. lunch period at school had started and i had bought my food and sat down.

i wait alone at a lunch table for my friends. we were claimed by everyone, including ourselves, as the 'losers club'.

i sipped my orange juice with my headphones on as a girl walked up to me confidently. the girl. the one i saw the day that.. anyways.

maxine hunt was new. she came from england. she was mostly known as max.

she had only been attending derry middle for a little over a month. she was sarcastic, but funny. she was pretty. real gorgeous. but, she had already had a bit of a bad reputation.

her father was apparently like robin hood. he was a criminal. but a swift one. everyone assumed that, though she had been living with her mother ever since her father left at a young age, max had gathered his genes of a 'criminal'.

i didn't believe it though. they were just rumours. nobody knew for sure.

i watched as she stopped a couple feet from the table i was at. i put down my juice and quickly took off my headphones.

"hey?" i started.

max rose an eyebrow. "hey." she replied. she looked down to my sketchbook. "i've seen some of your sketches." she started with her strong british accent.

i tilted my head. she breathed in. "you're pretty shit." she told me. maxine had started that term.

"f - fuck off." i nervously snapped. then she gave a satisfied smirk and walked away, pushing past the losers who were just now arriving.

"damn bill, since when do you talk to maxine?" he asked, nudging his coke bottle glasses up the bridge of his nose. "you know, the rebel?" he reminds me.

i roll my eyes and continue eating as they sit down and start gossiping. i zone out.

i notice maxine sitting at a table alone and studying. for a student proclaimed rebel, she seems intelligent.

many parts of me wanted to know more about this new girl. why she's so outgoing and sarcastic. she seemed like someone i'd enjoy having in the losers club.

i guess i didn't know her though. but maybe i should.

today was the last day of school, maybe i could ask her to join the losers and i to look for clues of georgie's missing at the barrens.

a/n - prepare for a bunch of TEOTFW references:)

word count : 384 words