vii.

[sorry i didn't kiss you,
but it's obvious i wanted to.
bubblegum down my throat and this occurs,
but my luck couldn't get any worse,
cause' i swallowed the bubblegum]

FLIRT.

i knew people in love went on dates

i knew people in love went on dates. and surprisingly, max felt like someone i could easily fall in love with. "do you wanna go on a d - duh - date?" i asked. she stopped and turned around.

"what, with you?" she questioned. i rolled my eyes and nodded.

"yeah, after the barrens. we c - could go to the diner in the heart of derry." i suggested. maxine tilted her head. "ever been?" i asked.

maxine shook her head. i widened my eyes and began treading towards her as we started walking together again. "you've never been there? the f - food is amazing. and the milkshakes are d - divine!" i told her.

watching how excited i was, max's face lightened. she smiled, making one grow on my face too. i think her smiles were contagious.

"hey, lovebirds!" richie shouted, gathering max and i's attention. "we're here." he finished. i nodded my head towards eddie's house telling max to go ahead.

she knitted her eyebrows together and began to walk through the doorway. "eddie! is that you?" a woman, aka eddie's mother's voice shouted from the room on our right.

eddie sighed, blushing. he walked into the room, having us watch by the doorway. maxine's mouth dropped and she leaned over to my ear.

"is that his mum?" she whispered. i chuckled and nodded. max snorted quietly. "she looks like a beached whale." she joked. i covered my mouth with my palm, not letting any laughs escape.

max was funny. a weird kind of funny. like richie funny, but more tolerable. i liked her a lot. we watched as eddie and his mom exchanged mumbles, and she let him return to us.

we began to walk when eddie got called again, making the four of us return to the door frame of the small living room. "yeah?" eddie replied.

mrs. k smiled, and she set her nail polish aside on her little table. "who's your lady friend?" she asked, looking towards max, who widened her eyes and began to blush.

i stepped forward. "uh- that's maxine. we recently became f - friends." i introduced her. max rolled her eyes and hid her face, sighing quietly.

"maxine, come closer. let me get a good look at you." mrs. k instructed. max stood stiff, clenching her fists nervously before she blinked slowly and began to inch her way over to the chair that she was sitting on.