1. Friends Will Be Friends

"Looking for something nice to wear on a date?" Mary asked, watching from behind the cash desk as Lettie rifled through a rack of clothing.

"Can't I just look nice always, for myself?"

"Of course you can."

"I'm looking for inspiration for my latest project." The red-head removed a blouse from the hanging rack and examined it.

"Ah, so finding something to wear on a hot date would just be a bonus." Mary grinned.

"Well it's supposed to be a girls' night - that is, until Tina runs off with the bassist she's been obsessing over all week."

"I wonder who she'll try to set you up with this time," Mary chuckled.

"Yeah, so do I, don't remind me.  But I should be there, I suppose. Have to give the best friend's seal of approval on this guy. And you know Tina's track record with men."

"Yes, poor girl.  I hope he's wonderful for her."

"So do I," Lettie agreed.  "And the way she talks about him, he sounds like he might be."

"Good."

Now it was Lettie's turn to grin. "Speaking of hot dates, how are things with your bloke?" She raised her eyebrows at the blonde.

Mary smiled at the mention of her new boyfriend, Freddie. "Really well. I can't wait for you to meet him."

"Neither can I! The guy's into fashion - I need to find myself a Freddie."

"Yes, and he's supposed to be opening up a clothing stall at Kensington Market very soon with a friend, so we'll go over together once that's done."

"Ooo, who's the friend?"

"His name's Roger.  I don't think he's your type, though."

"Oh?"

"It sounds like he's very popular with the ladies, according to Freddie, and he just loves the attention."

"Ah. But Freddie - I love him already."

"I'm glad."

Lettie now held up a pair of flared trousers with the blouse in the mirror.

"Ooo, that's nice," commented Mary.

"Thanks." She returned the pieces of clothing to their respective places on the rack. " I don't suppose any positions have opened up?"

"Not since you were in yesterday." Mary smiled.  "As soon as there's an opening in the ladies fashion department you'll be the first to know, I promise."

"Thanks Mary."

"Anytime, Love."

"I'd better get going, don't want to keep Tina waiting."

"Have fun tonight! I hope everything works out with Tina and her man."

"Thanks, me too."

------------------------------

Lettie didn't have to worry about keeping Tina waiting - it turned out that Tina left her waiting. 

"Oh hurry up, Marie Antionette, or we'll miss the gig," Lettie laughed, calling up the stairs to Tina who was getting ready for their 'girls night'.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun!" Tina had said while trying to persuade Lettie to join her at the gig. "We'll go to the pub, have some drinks, and listen to some good music!"

"The last gig we went to there was shit."

"Yes, okay, I'll admit, that wasn't the best set. But this band is different. They're very serious."