6. I Want It All

"Lettie!" During her next visit to Biba (that weekend), Mary practically pounced over the counter when she saw her.  "There's an opening!"

Lettie felt her jaw drop and her heart skip. She almost dropped her bag.  "Oh my God-" She rummaged through her bag and withdrew her resume.

Mary laughed. "Prepared are we?"

"Eager! I had it with me every time I'd come here just in case this happened! And now it has!"

"Yes, it's your lucky day.  Brilliant, well I will pass this along to my supervisor with some good words." Mary winked.

Lettie gave the blonde a hug. "Oh thank you, Mary, you're a dear!"

"In fact, I'll do it right now  so she sees just how eager you are."

"Genevieve?" Lettie asked, a sparkle in her eye.  Genevieve Roland was a French fashion designer who was the current head of the Biba ladies's fashion department, who sold her own designs in the shop. She was an idol of Lettie's.

"Yes. Well, Mrs. Watson, my supervisor, who works alongside Ms. Roland."

"I can show her my uni portfolio if she wants, if she asks-" Now she was getting ahead of herself. But she was just so excited!

As promised, Mary went to go deliver Lettie's resume to her supervisor. It was all  Lettie could do to prevent herself from squealing right then and there in the middle of the shop.

----------------------------------

"Sitting beside the phone isn't going to make it ring, you know," chuckled Frank, Lettie's dad. "A watched kettle never boils."

"I'm just sitting here reading my magazine."

"In the chair beside the phone." 

"This call could change my life, Dad! This is a step in exactly the direction I want to go!"

"Are you sure about working two jobs while you still have school? You're only in the second year of your degree."

"I know, but I'm looking ahead, preparing for the next thing."

"Always preparing for the next thing."

"Well that's a good thing, isn't it?"

"Yes, of course it is. I just don't want you to be too prepared."

"Too prepared?" Was there even such a thing?

"What I mean is, I don't want you do be disappointed if it doesn't work out exactly the way you picture it working out. You've got to be flexible with these things, you know."

"I know, but it will work out, it already is!"

"Alright." With that he left her to continue sitting by the phone waiting for her call.

---------------------------------

"I'm failing physics," Chip promptly declared as he got into the car. Lettie was picking him up after school as they would head straight to the grocery shop for their shift. "My teacher said 'you might need a little extra help,' which is his friendly way of saying, 'you're stupid and hopeless.'"

"Oh, it is not," she assured him. "I mean, physics isn't easy..."

"It seems to be for everyone else in the class."

"That's how I felt in maths class. Just think, you finish this year and then have one more year until you're in university and you can study whatever the hell you want to!"