9. It's a Beautiful Day

"Oh come on!" Tina cried.  "Please!"

"What, so I can listen to you lot shagging the whole weekend? No thank you!"

Tina was desperately trying to persuade Lettie to join the group - herself, Tim, Freddie, Mary, Brian and Roger - on a weekend at the lake. Apparently, the boys knew of a nice lake house that could be rented for short visits, and they thought they would make a weekend out of it. 

"It sounds like a couples trip."

"But it's not! Brian and Roger are coming too, and they're not paired with anyone - yet."

Lettie rolled her eyes.

"Oh come on, Let, it won't be the same without you!"

"I'm touched, but I also believe you'll be too busy shagging to miss me."

"Oh!" Tina swatted at her.

"Who's shagging who?" asked Chip from where he was sweeping the shop floor.

"Piss off, Chip."

"I don't think this conversation is really appropriate for the workplace."

"Go away!"

"Chip, don't you think Lettie would be cute with Brian or Roger?" asked Tina. 

"Brian and Roger? From the band?"

"Yeah."

Chip shrugged. "Sure, I guess..."

"You really think my baby brother is the person to ask?"

"Well he was there, he met them too. It's good to get multiple opinions, but I still stand by mine."

"I don't know, Teen. I'm waiting to hear back about my interview-"

"What's this?" asked Valerie, coming in from the back.  "Oh, hello Tina, Love."

"Hi Val! I'm trying to persuade Lettie to join me and our friends for a weekend at the lake."

"Ooo, that sounds lovely. Maybe I should look into that... Why are you in need of such persuasion over this, Juliette?"

"My interview, Mum," Lettie said as though it were the most obvious thing. 

"Oh!" Valerie shook her head.  "If you get a call one of us will answer it. And you'll only be gone for the weekend."

"Thank you!" cried Tina.  "Yes Let, listen to your Mum."

"Will there be boys on this trip?" asked Valerie. 

"Um..." The ladies exchanged a glance.  "Yes, my boyfriend and his friends..."

"Oh I'm only teasing you!" Valerie winked. "And I want to meet this beau of yours, Tina. You must bring him by the shop soon."

"Will do, Val, you'll love him!" She turned back to Lettie.  "We're leaving Friday at one. Back by Sunday supper. We'll pick you up. Just look for Roger's big ugly van - don't tell him I said that."

----------------------------------

"This is Ms. Watson's office number," Lettie said, handing a piece of paper with a phone number scrawled across it to her Mum. "If you miss her please call her back and let her know that I will call as soon as I can. Tim said this is the number for the lake house so if she does call please call me and let me know." She handed Valerie a second phone number as well.

"Are you sure you even want to go to this lake house?" said Chip.

"Yes, I'm looking forward to it."