2. Good Company

"So you ended up third-wheeling on Tina's date, as you expected?" said Chip the next morning.

"Pretty much," said Lettie. "But I like Tim so far. And Tina seems absolutely besotted with him. So I'm happy for them."

"Chip, you missed a spot," called their mother, Valerie, pointing to a corner of the shop floor.

"I haven't swept over there yet, Mum."

"Well, chop chop. We open soon."

"It's not like anyone's staring at the floor," Chip mumbled, leaning on the broom.

"I heard that! And it doesn't matter whether they're looking or not, we pride ourselves on a neat and tidy shop! Lettie, how are the jams coming?"

"Almost done," Lettie called from where she was crouched down, arranging jam jars on the bottom shelf. "That'll be you one day," she said to her brother. "Barking at your kids when you own the shop."

"I heard that too!" called Valerie.

"Oh Jesus." Chip winced at the image of him ordering his own children around the shop. "Or you, seeing as you are older."

"No thank you! I plan on being long gone by then."

"With your own fashion line."

"Maybe. I can see it now: 'Lettie Evans's Unisex Fashion'."

"Enough gabbing you two!" their mother called from the corner of the shop that housed the baked goods. "We open in twenty minutes!"

"Though first of all I'm going to design better aprons," Lettie mumbled. "Replace these ghastly things."

"That's only cause you're  wearing it," snorted Chip.

"Watch it you, or I'll lob this massive jar of jam at your head!" Lettie threatened.

"Chip, Juliette!"

"We're going, Mum!"

Neither of the Evans children were pleased at the prospect of one day inheriting the family business.

The Evans family ran a local grocery shop, which specialized in Greek foods, the family having Greek roots.

The shop had its various regular customers, who always liked to chat - 'Oh Juliette, how's university going? What's your degree in again, dear?' 'Chip, gotten that drivers licence yet? Any thought on university?'

"Well you certainly seem to be doing well after your wild night last night," Lettie remarked from her post behind the counter when Tina entered the shop later that morning.

"Oh, ha, ha." Tina removed her sunglasses and winked. "Whatever you're thinking, it wasn't that wild."

"I can only imagine." Lettie grinned. "So, how was it then?"

"Oh!" Tina smacked the countertop with purpose. "It was absolutely brilliant! He bought me a drink and we talked for hours! He's such a dear."

"Well I'm very glad to hear it. So will you be seeing him again soon then?"

"Yes, tonight in fact. That's why I'm here, actually."