Chapter 06

With his laugh, every bone in my body rattles

With his laugh, every bone in my body rattles. Is this a joke to him?

Taha Muhammad wipes the tears behind his glasses and catches Yahya's long stare. The contrast is stark between the two. While Taha is deeply amused by this situation, Yahya has barely composed his shock. He still sits with one elbow perched onto the table top, his hand under his chin, two fingers over his lips, big brown eyes distant. His jaw is clenched and unlike Taha's sharp features, his jaw though it is set, has a softness on his cheeks and in the light facial hair around his chin. Taha instead is just so sharp in his cheekbones, jaw line and cropped facial hair, that along with his piercing grey eyes, he is prickly. With his entire existence.

I hope he pricks himself hard one day.

"Taha," Yahya speaks from behind his hand. "Enough." His words are less but his eyes convey more and Taha holds his hands in the air in surrender, settling back into his chair. His smile is still fully blown from one ear to another. It widens as he catches the venom in my eyes and I look away.

Ahmad Mamu paces at the head of the table, hands stuffed deep into his pockets and eyes deep in thought. "Tell me this is all a bluff."

Yahya stands up and I follow his movements. He's so tall. He calls for the peon who brings back a jug of cold water, some Panadol and clean glasses for us all. Yahya pours some water for my Mamu and hands it over to him with the painkiller tablets. Ahmad Mamu gulps down three tablets and downs the entire glass of water in one sip. He takes a seat and holds the bridge of his nose. He's distressed. Nashwa and I share a glance. He no longer looks like my Mamu, he looks like an unhinged man and even with the air conditioner turning my toes cold, his forehead is beaded with sweat.

Is he concerned because of me? My heart pinches. Or is something else the matter?

Yahya, who is still standing begins to roll up the sleeves of his light blue button down shirt. He undoes the top most button and I look away, landing my gaze into Taha's hawk eyes that are sneering at me. Yahya loosens up and then he leans upon us all, shoulders back, his palms flat on the desk top.

"You said he gave you twenty four hours to respond, correct?"

I nod, a bit intimidated by his dominance. My Mamu lets go of his nose and watches Yahya too. "I have two more hours left."

"Two hours are not enough." Yahya glances over at Taha. "What do you say?"

Taha shrugs casually. "Not if the work you require must be thorough."

"It must," Mamu speaks in a gruff voice.

Taha's eyes narrow at him. "I am only human with all my computers too." Their unparalleled stares are like a clash of swords. Taha is not the first to look away.

"Hold up." Yahya straightens. "I will be handling the situation here. Best if we all keep our wits and aggressions in check." He turns to Taha. "What can you do if given more time? Without overdoing the self-obsession please."