Chapter 19

My parents' room is themed maroon

My parents' room is themed maroon. The wall behind their bed is plastered with maroon wallpaper with golden block print. Their furniture is mahogany brown and my mother has decorated it with several flower vases, Dadi's crochet table mats and frames on walls with Quranic verses.

I sit on her bed, Baba and Dadi sitting on the two chairs in the corner watching me with wide unblinking eyes. The morning sun seeps through the golden curtains, streaking me with heavenly light. I watch their exhausted faces, from taking shifts at the hospital to stay over with Hanaan, Dadi keeping up with house chores while my mother wasn't present and Baba running back and forth between his office, home and hospital.

We're all in this together but no one's really on the same level of life as me.

Baba runs a hand down his face. "I will need some time."

Dadi mirrors his perplexity.

I wonder what bothers them more; Hanaan capable of doing all this or me bearing the entire brunt of her actions? Taha Muhammad smiles from ear to ear in my head. You've got no proof for her sins.

I sit back. Testing people's loyalties is my new passion.

Ahmad Mamu proved himself to me when I woke up at five after a twelve hour blackout and found him sleeping on the couch in our lounge, laptop and files scattered about the centre table, many empty cups with tea bags hanging out sitting in the sink in my kitchen. He woke up at seven and excused himself to go prepare for his court proceedings today. He didn't get a chance to talk to me, I had locked my room, I was working out.

Today Hana woke up early and prayed Fajr. Hana prayed to Allah to side by her because she didn't expect anyone else to. Hana made herself a smoothie and Hana exercised. Hana made herself breakfast and prepared a bean and potato salad to take with her to the hospital later. Hana even baked some quick fudge brownies for Hanaan, the perfect blend of bittersweet. Hana waited for Baba to come home before he headed back to work and Hana told him and Dadi everything.

They can take all the time they need. Today Hana is in no hurry.

"What now?" Baba's lack of questions surprises me but so be it. "Yahya is handling the case, you say. They are working with cyber-crime, till now Waheed must be aware of the takeover on his accounts, he will react impulsively but Ahmad and his boys are already looking into it." He runs a hand down his face again. "What do we do with Hanaan?"

The million dollar question, ain't it?

"Baba."

His eyes look up into mine; bloodshot. The ghosts flickering behind them apologise to me but today they do not tarnish my wrath. "Mena."

I laugh inwardly. RIP jugnoo.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ears. "You have to tell this to Mama." His eyes widen. Before he can refuse, I add, "Hanaan is her entire world, Baba. She will not accept this truth from my tongue. She will see my faults in this whole fiasco, ask me why I took those pictures of me in the first place that could tug at a man's heartstrings. She will not see Hanaan's fault in sending them over to Waheed neither will she hold Waheed entirely responsible for photoshopping my face on nude bodies." Baba flinches. Good.