Chapter 27

Morning came by with a sharp whiff of Ahmad Aurangzeb's luxury cologne wafting through the entire apartment complex with him nowhere to be found

Morning came by with a sharp whiff of Ahmad Aurangzeb's luxury cologne wafting through the entire apartment complex with him nowhere to be found. It would not come off as a surprise if he deemed bathing with water to be something for peasants only and bathed every day in perfumed milk instead. He's crazy like that and so is his daughter who put my sister and her own cousin-brothers to clean up breakfast so she could get ready to go see baby Nashmia at the hospital.

It's awfully early, only nine am but Nashwa is brighter than the sun could ever be.

I watch as Nashwa arranges a beautiful display of coloured roses in a vase. Impatient as I am, I don't hold back. "Did Taha Muhammad send these?"

Nashwa's fingers halt upon the yellow petals. "Why would he send them to me?"

"Hana thinks so."

"Hana is so blind."

"So there's nothing going on between you two?"

Nashwa puffs her cheeks to fake a belch. "God forbid it. I have better tastes and higher standards in men, thank you. Besides, he did not even give me a chance to consider it."

"How so?"

She sits by me on the sofa, leisurely putting her feet in my lap. "The very first day we met him and gave him your username and password, he found my Instagram in your block list and messaged me the same night via his own Instagram account. He wanted to know the tale behind Hana and Hanaan."

"Why was he interested in our back story?"

"As a lawyer's daughter, I did question his intentions and it came off clear that the guy was baffled thanks to the entire conversation he had read. He was traumatised and he couldn't believe Hana still stood up for you in my father dearest's office. So I told him about your CP, how you and Hana were childhood sisters joined by the same heart and soul until I pushed through and set everything on fire."

"Nashwa..."

She shakes her head. "It's the bitter truth, Hanaan. I did always envy Hana rather than make my own place. And you did send those pictures of her to Waheed, if you're owning up to your mistake, let me do so too. Hana may forgive but we can never forget."

I swallow the spikes away. She's right. I will forever be ashamed for doing what I did and that's how I will never ever fall into such a trap again.

She shrugs. "Anyhow, he was silent for a very long time. I had told him about your CP and how Hana helped with everything but then you both got distanced when I unleashed the Anna Sofia secret. When finally he did reply, he surprised me."

"What did he say?"

"He said Hana must be one of a kind. One that loves so limitlessly."

I try to keep my heart rate steady.