CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Who are you?" The question breaks my heart. Amanda was the only person I had left, the only person I loved except Max. And now she didn't know who I was.

Why did I have to convince her to skip school with me? Why did I not react to the car running the stop sign?

I look down at my severely bruised arm in it's cast. I had broken it and I remembered why. I had stopped the airbag from hitting her. I had no other choice, with her small frame, the airbag might've killed her.

My attention directs back up at her. The scar on her head is like a question mark on the side of her head and her hair is shaved. I hated seeing her like this.

"Honey, this is Ian. He's your boyfriend," Anne answers for me. I send her a grateful look. I just couldn't find myself to speak.

"Boyfriend? But I don't-" She stops herself short, looking back at me with a confused expression. It turns to pity as she takes in my state. "I'm sorry, I don't remember."

I force myself to wake up but this time, I'm not panting or sweating. I was bale to control that for once. This dream didn't scare me like the others did. It just reminded me of a pain that I hope to never feel again.

All my attention turns to the sleeping brunette in my arms. I smile to myself, thinking of last night.

I kissed her again, not being able to get enough. She smiles at me, running her hands roughly through my hair. "You amaze me," I whisper endearingly.

    She pulls me back in for another kiss.

    I snap back to reality as Mandy stirs in my arms. She turns over so she's facing me and her eyes open lazily. She smiles. "Good morning," she says, her voice raspy.

    "Good morning, beautiful." I reach out and push her hair out of her face. I lean down, pressing a light kiss to her lips.

    She puts her arm around my neck, running her finger through the edge of my hair. "Ian, why didn't you follow me?" I clear my throat, not expecting the question. I think to myself for a moment.

    "I didn't think you wanted me to," I answer truthfully.

    "Didn't you think this was worth fighting for?" She doesn't look angry. She actually looks really happy. Happy, but curious.

    "Honestly, I wasn't sure." I look down, afraid to meet her eyes. "I blamed myself for everything that happened. It was my fault you had to move away. I ruined your life. You had so many things going for you and I took that away. I don't think I ever forgave myself."

    She puts her fingers on my chin, guiding my face back up to meet hers. "Stop blaming yourself. I've gotten over it and you should, too." Our eyes lock together and I look over every feature of her face. I wanted to remember every detail. The sparkle in her eyes, the fullness of her lips, and her petite nose. No matter what happened after today, in this moment right now, she was mine and I was hers. And that was something that no one could steal from us.

I lean down, pressing my lips to hers. I could get used to this. Waking up by her side and kissing her lips. Too bad it might not last. When we pull apart, she looks at me with adoration in her eyes.

"Ian, I have one more question." I groan slightly and she chuckles at this. "No, not about our past. About our future." My eyebrows knit together and she places her hand on my cheek as she looks up at me, her face serious. "I'm pregnant with a monster's baby. But I don't want that to be all he or she knows. You're an amazing Dad to Max. Better than the piece of shit that raised you." She sighs. "Ian, if you would like, I want you to be the one to help me raise my baby."