CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

I had everything situated and figured out within three hours after landing. I was selling my car to my coworker and had mine and Max's stuff pretty much packed besides some other minor things. The first thing I did when I landed was I went to the office and explained my situation to my boss. Surprised, she agreed to not write me up for the several weeks I was out without notice. I also requested a transfer to Miami. I also went to Max's school and requested a withdrawal and transfer to where she would resume school in Miami.

Amanda and I discussed the move about a month ago. Since she was pregnant and wanted me to help her raise the baby and essentially become their father, it only made sense for us to move in together. She didn't want to move to Cali and technically I had nothing keeping me in Cali anymore so I agreed that living in Miami would be best for us. We talked about it with Max the next day. To say she was excited would be an understatement.

Now I'm in the empty apartment, with about three suitcases full of mine and Max's things. I was more than ready to leave already and thought to myself that I may as well reschedule my flight for tonight. But I was tired and decided that it might just be better if I stayed here tonight. It would be hard to sleep by myself. I haven't done that in like three years, whether it was with Max, Clara, or Mandy.

I glanced down at my watch, noting that it was already 10 pm. I change into a comfy set of pajamas and go to my room. Just as I'm about to plug my phone in for the night, my phone begins to buzz, a call from Mandy coming in. I immediately press the answer button and put the phone to my ear.

"Hey, baby, what's up?"

"Oh my gosh, Ian!" She exclaims over the phone and I sit down on my bed as my knees buckle and the frantic sound of her voice.

"What's going on, Mandy? Are you okay?" I question.

"Ian, the baby just kicked for the first time!" I let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding and a small smile forms on my face.

"Did you get a video of it?" I ask and lay back in the bed.

"I didn't, unfortunately. And I really wish you were here to see it."

"Me too, babe."

"I had to call you and tell you just cause I really miss you."

"I'm glad you did. It's good to hear your voice."

"How was your day, baby?"

"It was alright. My back hurts from bending over and picking things up all over the apartment but it was pretty productive. I might move my flight to the morning just cause there's nothing else here for me to do."

"That's great! I can't wait to see you. It's not the same here without you."

"I know. It might be hard to sleep tonight without you or Max to cuddle with."

"Well, Max asked if she could sleep with me tonight. I think she's missing you the most."

"How's she doing? She's behaving, right?"

"Ian, she's an angel. After all, she was raised by the most amazing man I know." I smile at her response.

"Well she's made it easy for me by being the best daughter I could have asked for."

"You sound tired. I should let you get some sleep." I smile and hold the phone tight to my ear.

"Okay. Cuddle Max tight for me tonight."

"I will, baby. Goodnight. Sleep tight."

"Not without you," I answer. "Goodnight, Mandy. I love you."

"I love you, too." With a smile, I hang up the phone. I plug it into the charger and turn out the lights. I pull the covers up over my chest and stare up at the ceiling. I don't think I'm going to be sleeping well tonight. I reach out beside me, into the space on the bed where my girlfriend and daughter should be.

Within a few minutes, I fell into a restless sleep.

_______

In the morning, I call the airport to ask if I can move my flight up. The receptionist tells me that there's a flight in three hours that has an open seat and I agree with the flight change. With time to kill, I head over to the prison. For some reason, I wanted to see my Dad one last time before I left. One last goodbye.

When I get there, I check in and wait for them to inform me that my Dad is ready. When they do, I enter the room and sit down at the window they tell me to. My Dad enters on the other side, turning around so the officers can remove his cuffs. I pick up the phone as he approaches. He sits and does the same.

"I'm surprised to see you here, son."

I clench my teeth at the word 'son'. "I haven't been your son all my 22 years of life. I just came here to tell you that I know what you did. To that woman. You know his son came after my family?" The anger builds in my throat but I push it down, promising myself to remain calm.

"What? I'm sorry, Ian."

I scoff. "You're sorry? You've never been sorry. You wouldn't be sorry even if Brian had succeeded in killing us. Your daughter and son would be dead because of what you did and you would still sit in here with not one ounce of remorse."

"Of course I would be sorry. I never wanted for you or your sister to be killed. Don't you think I would've if that's what I wanted? I only wanted to raise my kids to be strong."

"Max is strong. And that is definitely no thanks to you. That's not how you treat your kids. I will never treat my kids as you treated us. You abused us."

"Son, I helped you be a man. And you clearly are one now."

"Once again, I am not your son and I did not 'become a man' because of you. I became a man because of Max. We leaned on each other and that helped us in a way you never could. I'm having a baby, Conrad. Amanda is pregnant and I'm going to have a family. But lets make one thing very clear. My kids are not your grandkids. You will never meet them just as you never let me meet Ashley. You're done. You have no one. Mom won't talk to you and I sure as hell want absolutely nothing to do with you. I'm moving to Miami today. So you won't hear from me at all after this moment so cherish it while it lasts. You are a piece of absolute shit and I will never be able to forget what you did to us. However, I do forgive you. I know that you're fucked up in the head even though I don't know why. And I feel a little bit of pity that you have to grow old and die in here. If you even make it to old age. But I'm done coming here. You're cut off. Goodbye, Conrad," and with that, I get up and leave. Leaving my past behind, I head to the airport and leave California.

Possibly forever.