CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

When the plane lands, I send a text to Ashley and let her know that I'm here. Max was still sleeping so Mandy agreed to stay back with her so Ash could come pick me up. I hurry off the plane and get to the baggage claim, grabbing my suitcases. The second I'm outside, I spot her waiting outside of her car. With a smile on my face, I walk up to her, hauling the suitcases behind me. When she sees me heading for her, she stands straight and waits for me. I drop my bags at my feet and reach out to hug her.

"Awe, it's so good to have you back." When I pull back, I examine her. She looks a little pale, being honest.

"How are you feeling, Ash?" She gives me a smile, putting her thin hand on my cheek.

"I'm fine, Ian. No need to worry." I give her an 'are you kidding' look.

"You have a terminal illness, Ash. Of course I'm going to worry."

She doesn't keep the topic going and instead pops the trunk and grabs one of my bags. I pull the other two into the trunk before putting my hand out for the keys. After realizing I was going to persistent on me driving, she hands me the keys and walks around to the passenger side. I close the trunk and get into the drivers seat, pulling out of the busy airport. As we begin the drive home, I start up conversation.

"I went to go see Conrad before I left." I see her stiffen in my peripheral vision. She glances over at me but I stare straight ahead at the road.

"For what?"

"I needed closure. To say goodbye. To him and my past."

"Did you tell him about me?"

I shake my head. "I mentioned you but I didn't tell him about your illness. He doesn't deserve to know. That would give him too much satisfaction that you might be leaving the world before he does." She nods, her eyes going back in front of her. "He apologized."

She looks over again, surprise on her face. "And? Did you accept it?"

"Of course not. His words mean as much as his life to me at this point. He apologized for Brian coming after us because of him."

"Did he ask about me?" I shake my head and purse my lips.

"No. I'm sorry, Aunt Ash."

"It's okay. I shouldn't expect him to ask about his sister that he kicked out of his life 23 years ago. It was a silly question."

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

"For what? You have nothing to be sorry for, you aren't Conrad."

"Yes, I know. But you deserve better. You should've been able to meet your nephew and niece a lot sooner than you did. It would've made my life a hell of a lot easier."

"Yeah, well if I would've known, I would've gotten you out of that house and brought you both in."

"And we know that. But everything happens for a reason and Max and I are who we are today because of how we were brought up. And we've become even better since you came into our lives." She reaches over and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"That's really sweet, Ian. Thank you." I nod and continue driving. We make small talk for the remainder of the drive and when we reach the house, Mandy is waiting on the front porch with an arm around Max, the other hand on her belly.

What a sight to see. To come home to my amazing family after a long trip.

When I park the car, I immediately shut it off and get out making my way over to my girls. Max runs to meet me, jumping into my arms.

"I missed you, Dad." I kiss her cheek as I hold her in my arms, a big smile on my face.

"I missed you too, squirt. Did you behave for Amanda like I told you to?" She nods with a smirk on her face. I raise my eyebrow. "Max," I warn. She rolls her eyes at me.