CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

*1 year and 4 months later*

My name is Amanda Evans. And I got into a really bad accident when I was 17. It turned my life around completely and I always felt out of place after that night. But now, I feel as though things are finally falling into place. Things just make sense now.

Which says a lot when you have amnesia.

———

"Amanda, wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

I groan in my sleep, my eyes slowly peaking open. I stretch a bit and look at Max, jumping up and down in the bed. "Max, be careful. And be quiet, you're going to wake Braden."

"Mom, it's 10 o'clock. Braden is with Dad."

I sit up quick, looking over at the empty crib. Then my eyes fall on the alarm clock beside the bed. I groan again and plop back down into the bed.

"Well, where did your dad take Braden?" I ask in an impatient tone. Give me a break, I get angry easily when I'm tired.

"Well, you would find out if you get up," Max answers, mimicking my tone. Then she stalks off and to the door.

I sit up and raise an eyebrow. "Max, stop being so cryptic. Where are they?"

"Just get up, lazy bones." I reach back and launch a pillow at her, which she dodges by closing the door. With a sigh, I get up and go to the bathroom.

As I reach for my toothbrush, I spot a note taped to it.

I rip it off and unfold it to read it. I recognize Ian's handwriting immediately.

Good morning, my love. I thought you deserved to sleep in and also gave me time to set up my surprise. Made breakfast for you. You might want to hurry before Max eats it all.

X Ian

I sigh happily with a wide smile and put the note on the counter. After brushing my teeth, I head out into the kitchen. Sure enough, there's waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns laid out on the table. And Max is at the counter pouring two glasses of orange juice.

Suddenly, my face falls and I go into panic mode. "Shoot, Max, did I forget an anniversary or something?"

She laughs. "Well, it isn't one yet."

"What? What is that supposed to mean? What's going on?"

"Just read the note, Mom. Dad left it for you." My eyes shoot to the table and sure enough, there's another folded note sitting on my empty plate. I take into my hands and unfold it to read it.

Fill up. This is going to be a long day for you. Look pretty for me, as you always do. A car will pick you up at 11. See you soon.

X Ian

The note just makes me more confused. But I do as it says nonetheless. I eat up until I physically can't anymore. Then, I jump in the shower and put on a light sundress. I do my makeup just as the clock reads 10:58.

When I get outside, a beautiful limo sits in the driveway. I gasp at the site. Behind it, my mom's car is parked. My eyebrows crinkle in confusion.

"Oh honey, you look beautiful." My mom's voice comes from behind me and I turn in surprise.

"Mom? What are you doing in Cali?" I question and hug her.

"Ian asked us to come out here for the day to come see you guys. Plus, we missed our beautiful grandkids." She smiles at Max who stands behind her with a proud smile on her face.