001- Norah

It was a nice and wonderful first day at McCartney-Wyman boarding school. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the breeze was breezing. I, among many other students, was struggling to find my way around campus. There were simply too many buildings: one building for the academic classes, one building for the arts classes, one building for the cafeteria, and many buildings for the many dorms. My room was in building 3, but it was hard to find and orientation was supposed to start in half an hour.

I looked at my pamphlet again. I skimmed over the part that said there were over 500 girls at this school (this is an all-girls boarding school), over the part that mentioned how fantastic the academics are here, and finally landed on the map. It looked like it was drawn by a 3-year-old, and I gave up.

Me and my suitcase groaned.

I felt someone tapping my shoulder. Turning around, I saw a short blonde girl. "Do you need help?" She asked.

"A lot of it, actually!" I laughed. "I'm looking for dorm building #3?"

"That's where my dorm is!" She smiled. "Let me show you!"

I recognized her: I saw her sitting alone on the bus ride here, watching something funny on her phone. While many people knew others, it seemed like we did not. That's what happens when you come from out of town just for a boarding school.

"So," She asked. "What's your name?"

"Norah, and yours?" I asked back.

"Nat." She looked around. There was a lake on the school campus, and across from it was another school. "That's Lennon-Richards boarding school across the lake. It's an all-boys boarding school."

I nodded. "You think I could get a boyfriend from that school?"

"Oh, for sure!" Nat joked. She was wearing a Queen shirt. Queen is one of my favourite bands, and I couldn't help complimenting it.

"Thank you!" She said. "Freddie's the best one- his jawline could cut DIAMONDS!"

We both laughed.

"Are you kidding? John's the best! His perm was the best fashion mistake of the century and he still pulled it off!" I said. I could tell we would be very good friends.

We finally arrived at the dorm building. It was huge, but what was I expecting?

"Which room are you in?" Nat asked.

"Room 311. You?" I said.

"Same! I guess we're roommates!"

We high-fived.

***

After quick unpacking and too much talking, Nat and I realised we were late for orientation.

"Well, sh*t," I mumbled. "Come on!"

We ran to the main building (which we got lost on the way there), and by the time we got there, orientation was very much in progress. We didn't want to walk in and interrupt the thing. The principal scared us and we did not want to start off on a bad foot with him.

So what did we do?

We quietly snuck in through the back door and quickly scurried our way through glaring teachers. The only open space on the bleachers was next to some nice-looking girls, and they happily let us sit there.

"Thank you!" I whispered. A group of year 12 girls shushed us. Note to self: avoid year 12 girls at all costs.

The principal was an old man named Mr. Thorkelson. An innocent-looking man with scary intentions. He explained the rules of boarding school to us: curfew at 10pm, no sneaking out, no being late to classes. Detention will be given.

New note to self: try to break all of the rules for the hell of it.

At the end of the god-knows-how-long orientation, people dissolved into their own groups. It was almost dinner time and people were heading to the cafeteria building. Not wanting to get lost again, Nat and I bonded with the girls sitting next to us. They all had nametags. 2 Sadies, 2 Angelinas, Sophie, Ela, Mila, Katie, and Scarlett.

"So, shall we go eat?" Mila asked. "I'm starving on a Yoko-about-to-steal-a-biscuit level!"

We all laughed. What a great group of people!

**

"Norah! Wake up!"

I quickly shot up. Nat was hovered over me. I didn't recognize the room at first, but then I realised it was our dorm. Music posters were hung up all over the place, fairy lights were strung out all over the wall, and sun was brightly shining through the windows.

"It's 9:00 am!" Nat shouted. "We're late!"

I read the clock from across the room. 9:00 am.

Then I remembered how Nat and I stayed up late. Watching concerts. Fantastic.

"Ah, crap." I said. As I ran out of bed, the floor was cold. My uniform and a protein bar was arranged on my desk. I quickly grabbed the jacket and skirt, put them over my pajamas, and ate the protein bar. Nat followed me as I ran out of the room. I did not need detention on the first official day of school.

Our first class was English, and since we were both in year 10, it seemed we were in the same English class. We sneaked through the halls and almost ran into Mr. Thorkelson. The English classroom's door was open, and Ms. Wilson didn't seem to be too pleased about us being late.

Ms. Wilson was a nice teacher who looked and acted very similar to Mr. Keating from Dead Poets Society. And since that was my favourite movie, I had nothing to complain about.

But today, it seemed like she was not too pleased. Great. I love this school!

Hello all! Welcome to the book! I hope you guys like this!

xx Norah    :)