Chapter 17

Candie

"I thought you volunteers were supposed to be smart, but if someone is still lurking around that's very stupid. Your headquarters is destroyed. Your worse enemies are on the top of that mountain. And I'm here. And dressed to kill. "Boo!" She says. We look up to where Quigley is, he is wearing his mask again. "You're short for a volunteer. But I always said, 'Reading stunts your growth.'" Esmé says. Quigley runs away from Esmé. "Come back, I only want to torture you until you give me the location of the sugar bowl." I look to Klaus and furrow my brows in confusion.

We continue to observe and look through a small place between random objects. She looks straight at us. "You once threw a masked ball here and didn't invite me. No hard feeling though, a face like this should never be hidden behind a mask." She says still staring right at us.

We run away, through the kitchen and down a burnt down flight of stairs. "Are you in the kitchen?" Esmé asks. "Or in... whatever room this is." She says walking slowly down the flight of stairs. "Oh yeah, the hot tub room. You'd better come out now." She shouts. She walks to the middle of the room. "When I find you, skinning you alive will be the second worse thing I've done in a hot tub." She says. The wood she stands on starts to snap.

Me and Violet look to one another. "Agh!" She screams falling into the empty hot tub. Quigley, Klaus, Violet and I rush to the hot tub and look down at Esmé. "I think we just trapped Esmé Squalor at the bottom of a surprisingly deep hot tub." Violet says, shocked. "Yeah. Sounds about right." I say breathing heavily. "Is she alive?" Klaus wonders. We look at one another. We walk slowly toward the hot tub to look down.

"Get me out of here!" She yells at us once we're in her line of sight. I stumble back. "Being trapped in a hot tub is even less 'in' that getting in a hot tub on purpose." She complains. "She's alive." Quigley confirms. "I can make a pulley to get her out." Violet suggests. "Or," Quigley says. We look to him confused. "Or?" Klaus says confused. "Get me out of here." Esmé repeats, startling me.

"Count Olaf has someone you love. Now we have someone he loves. We could arrange a trade." Quigley continues. "A hostage trade?" Klaus wonders. "When my boyfriend finds out that you trapped me down here, he is going to be so angry." Esmé continues. "Count Olaf trapes people to get what he wants." Quigley leads on. "You really want to do the same thing as him?" Klaus asks him. "Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire." Quigley argues. "Fighting fire with fire will make the whole world go up in smoke. Klaus is right. There has to be another way." Violet thinks.

"We can't stoop to his level. What kind of example is that setting for Sunny? For Carmelita?" I add. "Carmelita has done enough bad things in the world, acting nicer isn't going to change her." Quigley spats. "Really?" I say fed up. "So me trying my best to be a good role model has all gone up in smoke? So me trying my best to act as a mom after our mom left us at Prufrock when I was eight was for absolutely for nothing? I get it. Carmelita still acts up. I get it. Carmelita is still a brat and walks all over everybody. But I raised her. Now I don't know what that says about me but, Goddammit I tried my best, and for someone who did things that people at age 40 don't know at age eight, I think that's an achievement all on it's own." I say shaking."Candie I-" Quigley starts. "Don't, just don't." I cut him off. "I'm so sorry Candie." Klaus comforts. "Thank you Klaus." I say looking at him with a sad smile. 

"Klaus?" Esmé questions, "Oh, this is rich. You're not volunteers at all, you're Baudelaires. Olaf will be so disappointed you didn't die off that mountain. Or of course he will be thrilled, he gets to kill you all over again." Esmé chats. We step forward and look down to her. "And you... didn't you float away in a bunch of balloons?" Esmé asks Quigley. "I'm Quigley Quagmire. I survived the fire." Quigley speaks up. Esmé whispers something to herself. "We'll get you out, but only if you help get our sister back." Klaus offers.

"And what if I refuse? You didn't think about that did you? That's the problem with your side of the schism. You don't think things through. I had to spend the whole summer reading Anna Karenina I hated that dumb book, so I threw it in the fire place. And look at me now." Esmé brags. "I am beautiful! And fashionable!" We turn to each other and shrug. "You're trapped in a hot tub." Violet reminds. "And I'm still better off than you! You'll never save your sister. Just like you'll never safe those rich kids hiking up Mount Fraught to celebrate False Spring." Esmé laughs.

"False Spring?" Violet repeats. I put my hand to my face and start to tear up. "'Countless orphans.'" Quigley repeats. "'Countless fortunes.'" Klaus repeats. "Carmelita." I whisper. "They're gonna kidnap the Snow Scouts and murder their parents." Violet explains. "Yeah I got it." I say my voice getting shaky.

»»————-  ————-««

"MUSH, MUSH, MUSH!" Esmé shouts as we puller her up the waterfall. "MUSH, MUSH, MUSH!" Esmé repeats. "I really wish you'd stop saying that. It's not helping." Violet pleads. "I still don't like this plan." Klaus strains. "I don't either but what choice do we have?" Violet asks. "MUSH, MUSH, MUSH!" Esmé shouts again. "This is going to be a long climb." I comment to myself.

»»————-  ————-««

We finally made it to the top. "Finally, we have eliminated the Baudelaires." I hear a woman say. "I've got some bad news about that." Esmé finally says. "My fortune!" Count Olaf exclaims. "The Baudelaires." The woman scowls. "And look what else I found. That's Quigleforth Quagmire" Esmé says. "Quigley." Quigley corrects. "I've never been so happy to see you brats alive! How did you capture them, my pet?" Count Olaf says with a big smile.

"She didn't capture us. We're here to trade her as a hostage." Klaus breaks the news. Count Olaf snickered. I turn around to see Esmé using a knife to rip her hoists off her wrists. "Like I've never had to free myself from a chair being hoisted up a mountain before. I was going to use this big knife to force them to carry me up, but these volunteers just volunteered." Esmé laughs. "They're so stupid." Esmé whispers, going in to hug Count Olaf. "Well, we may not have a hostage, but we're not leaving without Sunny." Klaus justifies. "Good save." I say to him.

"Sunny Baudelaire's dead." A man with no beard but no hair says blankly. "No!" Me and Violet scream. I burst into tears. "My favorite henchperson just through her off that cliff not moments ago." Count Olaf says with a smile. "I'm surprised you didn't see it on the way down." Count Olaf says maniacally. "How could you do that to her?" Klaus yells trying to hit Count Olaf's henchperson. "It was easy he just through her up and eeeeee" Count Olaf explains. "No." Me and Violet say in sync again. I run over to the cliff of the mountain and look down. "And it all worked out for the best because now I have you!" He laughs.

"You made me choose and I get everything I ever wanted!" He yells to the man with a beard but no hair and the woman with hair but no beard. "Because I am amazing, brainy, courageous, dashing..." Count Olaf trails off. Out of the corner of my eye I see Sunny walking out. Me, Klaus, and Violet smile. "You disappoint us Olaf. We'll do better on the next recruits." The woman says.

"Snow scouts are, accommodating, basic, calm, darling..." The Snow Scouts chant as they come up the mountain. "No." I whisper. "What are all you cake-sniffers doing here?" Carmelita says angrily to us. "Carmelita!" I say running over blocking the Snow Scouts with my arms. "Hello little girl. We're here to help you celebrate False Spring." The woman says.

"Stay away from my sister and the snow scouts." I challenge. "Carmelita, Candie's right, they're aren't here to help you celebrate False Spring. They're here to kidnap you." Violet warns Carmelita. "I'm serious Carmelita, I promise, if you come with me and the Baudelaires, we can go home. We can be safe again." "I'm too adorable to kidnap." She gushes. "GIVE ME THAT SPRINGPOLE!" She yells at a Snow Scout.

"Please turn around and lead the Snow Scouts some place safe!" Klaus pleads. "Pay no attention to those cry-babies." The woman says. I stand up straight, pushing Carmelita softly back with my arm. "Why don't you come closer." The man says. She steps forward, I push her farther back with my arm. "ARG!" She screams pushing my hand down aggressively. "No! Carmelita!" Violet yells to her. "I crown myself False Spring Queen." She says walking forward. "Carmelita, please. If you come with me, you can be False Spring Queen all year round." I promise to her. "False Spring Queen is an annual title." She yells to me. "Carmelita please." I plead walking forward.

"Now the rest of you children, take a few steps closer and join us in a special celebration." The woman says. "Stop!" Klaus yells. "It's a trap." Quigley warns. I step back. "No!" I yell trying to drag them back. The man and women whistle. Eagles start flying down. "No!" I say running to them trying to get them to get out of the way.