Chapter 25

Candie (Sorry her POV is short.)

Fiona turns around and climbs the ladder. Tears fill in my eyes slowly. I'm not good at hiding my emotions, just sensing them. Violet turns to me. "Go on, I'll take care of this." Violet whispers in my ear.  I nod and walk to the bathroom.

Klaus

"Fiona did a great job with the repairs. We'll be out of here in no time." Violet says starting thee Queequeg. "I'll chart a course to the Hotel Denoument." I say looking at the charts. "Good news is the Carmelita is gone." Violet says. "Great news, although you don't sound happy about it." I comment. "That's because The Great Unknown is headed straight for us." Violet says, panic in her voice. I rush over to the sonar graph. She was right. "What can we do?" I ask. "I'm putting the sub into turbo drive." Violet says flicking some switches. "Hold on." She says lookin at me.

»»————-  ————-««

"The Great Unknown is falling behind." I observe. "Maximum knots, and the propulsion motor is dangerously close to blowing." Violet says looking at the equipment. The motor dials starts the beep. "The motor's not going to hold much longer. We need a place or surface. A beach or a dock." Violet says. "I can find a place near the Hotel Denoument." I say rushing to the desk. "Klaus? Do you think we'll find Quigley there?" Violet asks me. "I'm sure we'll find him... wherever he is." I say looking back at the charts. "Violet?" I say, "Do you think Candace will forgive me?" I ask, hopeful. "I'm sure she will." Candace says sliding down the pole. "The real question is, when." She says. "Chop, chop, Baudelaires, We have work to do." She jokes. She gives me a smiled and walks over to the table. "Where do we start?" She says with a smile. Man, I haven't seen that smile in a long time. It makes me fall in love with her, again and again. "I found the nearest beach." I announce to Violet.

»»————-  ————-««

"Briny Beach." Sunny Babbled as we washed up to shore. "What is Briny Beach?" Candace asked. "Candac-" "Candie. But that doesn't mean I'm still not mad at you." She corrects. "Of course. Well, Candie, This is where we found out that we were going to go on our adventure that led me to you." I say as we walk onto the beach. "You make it sound so much happier than it was." Violet laughs. "It's bitter-sweet." I reply.

We walk up to the top of the beach. Violet bends down and grabs the stone with the 'X' on it that she threw. "It's like we're starting all over again." Violet says. We hear a man coughing and look up. "Poe." Sunny babbled.

"Baudelaires?" Mr. Poe asks. "What are you doing on Briny Beach... again?" I looked to Candie, she shrugged. "What are you doing here?" I ask curiously. "I'd given up all hope of finding you, and I decided to visit this beach to indulge in some sadness and rock skipping instead of searching for you, which frankly has given my nothing but tsuris. 'tsuris' means trouble." Mr. Poe ranted. "We know what tsuris means." I correct. "Where have you been, and how did you get here?" Mr. Poe asks.

"Baudelaires! Ms. Spats." A woman yelled to us. "I hope you haven't been waiting long." Candie gave the woman a confused look. "Is that my new secretary? What are you doing here? When you didn't show up at the office today I assumed you were sick or giving birth." Mr. Poe ranted again. "My apologies, Mr. Poe, but perhaps you forgot I don't work for you." The woman told him. "This is Customary to give at least ten days' notice when resigning , Ms... Ms... I seem to have forgotten your name." Mr. Poe told the woman. "I never gave it to you." She said. "Oh, so it's your fault." Mr. Poe sighed.

"My cab is over there and I'd be happy to drive you to the Last Safe Place, if that's still where you want to go." The woman said to us. Me, Violet, Sunny and Candie all smile and nod. "Baudelaires, I insist you must come with me. You have been accused of murder, arson, kidnapping and all sorts of assorted misdemeanors." Mr. Poe said. "We're innocent." I try to say. "I'm sure you are, but that's precisely why you need to come with me to the police station so we can sort everything out." Me and Violet look at each other.

"Actually, Mr. Poe. I'm not a Baudelaire." Candie corrects. "Well then that's exactly why you need to come with me. You've been hanging out with people who have been accused of murder, arson, kidnapping-" "I get the idea." Candie cuts off Mr. Poe. "Oh and I simply love your outfit." Mr. Poe commented. "Thank you?" She says, a bit conflicted.

"Since you ran away from your problems, it became very clear to me that the stem of your troubles is from not having a clear guardian figure in your life. Perhaps it's time for that guardian to be me." Mr. Poe suggests. I look at Violet. "You know how good I am with children. So, come along Baudelaires! Let's end this unfortunate cycle once and for all!" Mr. Poe eggs on. "You're right" Violet says. "I know I am that's why I said it." Mr. Poe flatters himself. "We have to break this cycle." I add. "That's why we can't go with you." Violet finishes.

I was sure we were all on the same page. Then I looked at Candie, a hurt look etched over her face. "But... don't be ridiculous." Mr. Poe said. "Yeah guys, don't be ridiculous." She says, still very confused. "I don't know where you've been, or how you got here, or why you're wearing uniforms with Santa Claus on them." Mr. Poe said.

"Herman Melville." The woman corrects. "I beg your pardon?" Mr. Poe asked. "The picture on their uniforms is Herman Melville. One of my favorite authors. I like the way he dramatizes the plight of overlooked groups, like poor sailors and young people." She says. I smile at her. "Me too." I say. "I'm not surprised. He was some of your parents' favorites." She says. Me and Violet smile and laugh a bit.

"I should warn you, if you come with me, your lived may become more difficult. You may learn things that you didn't want to know. I don't blame Ms. Cadence Spats for wanting to leave that beach with that banker." The woman says. "See? Even this strange, fertile woman wants you to come with me." Mr. Poe says. "But you'll take us to V.F.D.?" I clarify. "I promise." She says. "Goodbye, Mr. Poe." Violet says. "Sayonara!" Sunny babbles. We start walking before I turn around. Candie was still standing. Not moving a muscle.

"Candie, you're not actually considering going with Mr. Poe are you?" I ask. "What other choice do I have?" She asks. Her voice shaky. "To come with us, to find V.F.D. and-" I try to say. "You don't get it do you? Klaus, look around. You have a family. I don't. Even when your parents were alive your parents loved you, and cared for you, and was there. Mine didn't. And from my understanding, my parents are dead. Carmelita was my only family, now God knows where she is, and I'm left alone." She says. "I kind of, understand." Violet says holding Sunny. "What?" I say, rushing to Candie. "I'm sorry Klaus, I'm sorry Baudelaires." She says starting to walk off with Mr. Poe.

"No! Candie please you have to come with us." I plead. "Klaus." Violet tries to interject. "Violet, no please, I lost her twice. I'm not looking for a third time. Can we please just help Candie come with us because I love her and I can't lose her again!" I yell at Violet. I turn around quickly to Candie who stopped dead in her track, turned around to me. She walked up to me putting a hand on my neck and kissed me.