Chapter 23

Candie

I run down the halls before I'm stopped by Count Olaf. "Where are you off to? I thought I told you to stay in the brig and torture orphans!" Count Olaf says with an eyebrow raise. "Oh, um, Hooky is torturing them as we speak. I was just- um, going to find something to torture them with!" I lie. "Very well." He says as he continues to walk.

I sigh quietly, that was close. I run down into the working room. "Aren't you the girl that tried to help us on Mount Fraught? What happened?" A Snow Scout asks. I kneel down to their level. "I'll help you next, I promise. I just need to find something first." I promise to them. "Don't worry, orphans, I'm coming back! I have nine more dances coming up!" Carmelita coos from down the hall. "Carmelita." I whisper to myself as I stand up. "I have to go, but I'll get you out, Snow Scouts. I promise." I say running.

I run down into the Queequeg and make my way to the library. "Fungi, fungi, fungi." I whisper to myself as I scan the books. "Fungi!" I exclaim reaching for a book. I reach for the book, Poisonous Fungi and Mushrooms. "This 'ought to be helpful." I say scanning the book. "Medusoid Mycelium." I say dogearing the page. I look to the side of the page. "Is dilution simple? Just one small dose of root of horse." I read. "Root of horse.." I repeat. "Horse radish of course!" I grab a pen from the desk and circle it. "Please let this be useful" I say closing the book. "If I leave this out it might be in danger." I say putting the book back into the bookshelf, not pushing it in fully.

I run to the kitchen next. "Horse radish, horse radish." I say under my breath. I scan the pantries looking for horseradish. "No horse radish..." I sigh. "Sunny, I'm so sorry." I say looking around me. Then it hit me. "A substitution! What's a substitution for horse radish? Um, um, um, Spicy hot mustard!" I say rushing to the fridge. I open and scan the fridge.

A birthday cake. 'Happy Birthday Violet' It read. I smiled. I had to wish her a happy birthday. "back on track." I whisper to myself.

Nothing. What's another substitution? Wasabi!" I say closing the fridge. "I saw it right..." I say scanning the cabinet. "Here!" I say moving all the wasabi to the front of the cabinet. "Hopefully I could help Baudelaires." I say closing the cabinet. I hear footsteps. "Shoot." I say under my breath running out the other door.

I race up the ladder to return to the Carmelita. I run to the brink. "The Baudelaires aren't here. They have to be in the Queequeg." I say under my breath.5"It's torture time. I'm off to the brig." I hear Hooky say. "Wait.." Count Olaf says. I sigh, oh my God, thank you Count Olaf. "Disengage from the Queequeg." Count Olaf says. My eyes widen. No, no, no, no, no. "But- you destroyed the equipment. If we disengage, it will sink." Hooky says. "Bah. There's nothing left on that wreck but rusty pipes and poetry books. Widdershins and his fondness for limericks. Literary and annoying." Count Olaf scoffs. "And the person that has made my life worth living for the last 5 months." I whisper.

"Nah... You know, I don't know. Maybe it's better not to disengage right away." Hooky says in a high pitched voice. He's lying, I can feel it. "Why? Is there something you're not telling me?" Count Olaf asks. 'My question exactly.' I say. "No...no, no. I'll disengage right away." Hooky says walking out of the galley. I rush after him.

"Hooky, where are the Baudelaires?" I say catching my breath. "In the brig..." He lies. "You're lying and I know they're not. Are they in the Queequeg or are they on the Carmelita?" I ask him. "They're on the Queequeg." He confesses. "So if we disengage..." I start. "They'll sink and die." He finishes. I feel my breath getting faster. "um, okay, no pressure." I say trying to think.

»»————-  ————-««

"Come on." He says leading me back to the Queequeg. "Why? Id Count Olaf disengages we'll sink too." I say following him down the ladder. "Fernald!" I hear Fiona say. She runs and hugs Hooky. "Fiona." He says back. "Violet! Klaus!" I say running to them hugging them, one arm around each of their necks. I let go quickly. I look to Klaus and give him a conflicted smile. Violet gives me a hug. "Is Sunny okay?" I ask. "She's alright." Violet says. I sigh. "Good."