Hollow

There weren't any repercussions when Connor returned for his next fight. The other fighters eyed him up with a newfound fearful respect. It didn't matter to Connor; he was numb to it all. That had always been the easiest coping mechanism for him, if he didn't feel then nothing could hurt him. There was a certain amount of safety in pushing everything down, being insular even in his own mind. It worked when he questioned why he couldn't have a life like a normal person, why nobody wanted to keep him around for longer than it took to realize his father wasn't the least bit interested in his welfare. Or even times when those who realized nobody cared took advantage of the fact. It helped to bundle up everything and shove it down, fold it up until it barely scraped his insides anymore. So that's what he did again.

The fight was quick, brutal and bloody. Connor swaggered out of the ring with a bloody nose, a black eye and rage singing in his veins. There was nothing left of him but his drive to finish the case and earn another commendation for going above and beyond in his file.

A phone call was all it took to shatter their tentative equilibrium. It came two days before Connor's next fight. The shrill ringing of his emergency phone made him jump and Connor had to dig to find it.

"What?" he snapped into it. Whoever was on the other end didn't sound too impressed.

"New information, we're bringing in another team. You've got to throw your next fight."

It was another superior and whatever he was saying was making Connor tense up.

"I can't do that!" Connor's voice was harsh. "I've worked hard and I'm close. A few more fights and I'll be Barstow's champion. Then I can get more information."

"Sorry Connor, we don't have the time. Throw your next fight, that's an order."

The line went dead and Connor threw his phone against the wall.

"Motherfucker!" Connor raged. "Throw the fight like some obedient little bitch. After weeks of getting the shit beaten out of me all so they can get an inside man on this. And now I have to give it all up for some other team to swoop in and take the glory."

"Fuck," he sat down heavily in the middle of the room and buried his fingers into his scalp. "I was a decoy, wasn't I? The stepping stone for a better team to come along. I should have known."

There were tears burning his eyes and his throat felt tight. Suddenly even his job felt like a hollow house of cards to live for, toppled so easily and carelessly. Connor sniffed and nodded to himself. He could throw the fight; once the case was done they could also have his license.