Caught

The warehouse door opened after his knocking and he was led down to the office by two of the bouncers. Their burly bulks at his back didn't make him feel any more at ease. After a short knock, they were invited into the office and Connor stepped in with some trepidation.

Inside the office, he spotted Barstow as he leaned against the edge of his desk. To one side Cobalt and Scarlett were standing close together, Scarlett doing the perfect imitation of a fearful android as she clung to Cobalt.

"Glad you could join us," Barstow drawled.

The door behind Connor clicked shut and a bouncer stood on either side of the frame. There was no way out until Barstow let them leave. It didn't bode well.

"It has come to my attention that my business has sprung a leak. Pest control suspects a mole and looking over my files it's going to be either you," Barstow pointed at Cobalt and Scarlett, "or you", he pointed at Connor.

"I told you this is pointless," Cobalt grumbled and pulled Scarlett closer.

So they weren't throwing Connor under the bus, which was more than he'd expected from them.

"The fuck?" Connor could do crass and offended. "After you beat the shit out of me like that, you really think I'd snitch? Just how dumb do you think I am?"

Barstow dipped his head and looked so disappointed as he pursed his lips. With a shrug, he reached behind his desk and pulled a gun.

"I guess if I can't figure out who it is, I'm going to have to clear house thoroughly."

Scarlett moved in front of Cobalt, shielding her with her own body. The gun was leveled at them and Connor's mind spun with options. There was only one solution he could accept as an outcome.

"Fine," he growled, "it's me. Rank #2 Fighter Connor of the fighter's organization at your service."

He even did a mock salute with a cocky grin. The gun was pointed at him in an instant. He didn't dare look at Scarlett and Cobalt, worried that if he saw their expressions he'd break.

"How do I know you're telling the truth? That it's not all three of you in on this?" Barstow barked and Connor laughed in his face.

"You really think you're such big fish they'd waste not one but three fighters on you? Phone the precinct; ask for the captain – her name's Sonia. Tell her I say hi."

Barstow gave him a considering look and then held his hand out.

"Your phone, now."

Connor handed it over. He listened to Barstow demand to speak to the captain and when he was put through the conversation went onto loudspeaker.

"Captain, please humor me. What is your surname?" Barstow asked pleasantly.

"This is Captain Sonia of the fighter's organization, who am I speaking to?" Sonia's smooth voice floated through the air.

"Thank you. That's much appreciated. I have a little problem here. My name is William Barstow, you may have heard of me. But you see, I have found that my house isn't in order, I have an intruder. Goes by the name of Connor I believe."

"Don't know him, never heard of him," Sonia replied after a beat.

"Then pray tell me, who is standing in front of me? It's either this so called fighter, or an older female with her twink android. Which is yours?"

Before Sonia could reply, Connor butted in. There was no way he was letting Sonia mess up his plan.

"Hey boss, so uh, guess what?" he let out a little laugh. "I'm not cut out for undercover work and I've been had."

"Fucking hell Connor," Sonia growled and Barstow's eyebrows shot up.

"So he is yours after all?" There was a malicious delight in his voice.

"Yeah, he's one of my fighters," Sonia sighed.

"How," Barstow paused for dramatic effect. "Unfortunate."

He aimed the gun and shot before anybody could comprehend what was going on.