↳ chapter ten: is this my same mother?

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

"Kyra, the day after Christmas, there is going to be a ball held at the Mulciber Manor. The Mulcibers and us will announce the families of your engagement. I want you to have this dress."

Her mother took out a gorgeous navy blue gown with an empire waist, scattered with sequins and rhinestones.

"You will look gorgeous in this." Walburga smiled fondly. And though Kyra could not forget how cruel her mother actually was, if her mother wasn't that evil and vicious, she would be like this.

After taking the dress from her mother, she sighed and entered her room. She headed inside her closet and hung the dress on the racks, and then flopped down on the bed. Just as she did that, there was a knock on her door.

"Come in!"

Regulus entered her room. "What did mother say?"

"Nothing much. Just something about a ball after Christmas where they'll be announcing my engagement and gave me a dress." She sat up and shrugged.

Regulus nodded. "Well, it's only 3 days in Christmas. Are you ready? You know, you still can leave-,"

"Reg, for the last time, no, I'm not leaving. If you say that one more time, I swear, I'll stop talking to you," Kyra rolled her eyes.

Regulus sighed in a defeated manner. "All right then." He sat in her spinning chair at her desk and started spinning. They talked about Christmas, the ball, and how Kyra's life was ruined until Kyra fell asleep.

It was about 6 in the evening when Regulus covered her with a blanket and left her room.

-

Kyra yawned. She sat up and stretched. Looking around her room, she thought Regulus would be here, but he wasn't. I mean, obviously, he wasn't going to be here every second with her, but he was a little piece of Hogwarts. A piece of home. She was reminded that there was still good left in this household and that she could get through everything with him.

Getting up, she stood in front of the large mirror on the wall. She was wearing a jumper and night trousers. She decided to change into a white collared shirt and jeans. It was Christmas tomorrow, so she would have to wear a dress anyway.

Quickly changing, she looked up into the clock. It was 9. She'd slept at 6. Guess she wouldn't be sleeping at night. Everyone was probably done with dinner and in their rooms or whatever, but Kyra wasn't hungry. And even if she was, she could ask one of the house-elves to get her something.

She sighed and walked up the stairs to the floors and turned right. The library on the third floor was magnificent. Literally.

It was looked like someone had grabbed it out of a movie and planted it here. The ceilings were high and bookshelves reached up till the very top. There were staircases to actually get up there and sofas on the floor, some tables etc. Some books on the shelves were old and had gathered dust while some were brand new. She walked up and took out her favourite book from the shelves, Little Women.