Chapter 3: Training

12 years ago

I had been living on Hala for about a month now and had started training to be in the Starforce. The only Ateran in the Starforce, because the other refugees that fled with me, didn't want anything to do with war. But when the Kree had explained to me that it was a species called Skrulls that infiltrated my home and started a war, I had felt nothing but rage. 

All I wanted was revenge. The Kree had taught me how to channel that anger into power, how I could stay clearheaded and still fight at my stongest. 

They didn't yell at me when I accedentily almost set the gym on fire the day I got that element. I think that was only two weeks after I landed on  Hala. It was probably triggered by my rage and fury and expressed itself in the most ironic way possible. Completely fitting my emotions.

When they saw the force of my power, they quickly determined they had to keep a close eye on me because I could accomplish great things. So the next day, after I thought training had ended, Jaa-Nus came to pick me up and brought me to a secluded training room where I couldn't hurt anyone or destroy anything and told me he wanted to see what my powers could do. 

I already had good control over my water and air elements, so I kept it quite save with those, but I knew he didn't come for those, he came for the fire. So I gave him fire. 

Let's just say the walls and ceiling needed some painting after that. But he didn't seem to mind. He looked at me proudly and confident, like he knew I could do this all along. 

From that day forward, I trained my powers extra in that room. Fueling the fire and channeling it so I could control it. Making myself and giving them the weapon that they wanted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now

An hour later, I was on my way to the front entrance of the building after a nice shower and was wearing my uniform. I had to report to the commanders' offices in one hour, giving me just enough time to show Vers around. 

I half expected for her to not show up, either because of the way our conversation ended, or because she couldn't find it, but to my surprise, she was already there when I turned the corner. 

She looked lost and it was clear that she didn't know how to hold herself in this unknown environment, so she 'nonchalantly' leaned to the wall while everyone was walking around her. No one paying attention to this unimportant person in the hallway.

But she scanned everyone who walked past her. Soldiers, Captains, Commanders, Officials, Technical staff. Everyone in different outfits and with different appearances, but with the same neutral look on their face. 

So when I rounded the corner, her eyes didn't miss me, and her whole attitude changed from seemingly chill to full attention. She immediately pushed herself off the wall like she was caught doing something that wasn't allowed and walked my way. As she came closer, I saw some hope in her eyes that maybe I wouldn't have the same mindset as before and she looked like she was about to say something to me, but I just walked past her. 'Follow me'

That made her swallow whatever words she was going to speak and her eyes showed only disappointment when she followed me through the doors, outwards. 

I walked down the big stairs in front of the entrance so we could have a better view off the whole building. The size of it never seizes to amaze me. It made you feel so small, like an ant, an irrelevant ant. And when I looked at Vers next to me, I could see on her face that she felt the same way.