Chapter 28: A Home

Carol slowly walked over to Yon, the man pulling out his gun and his gravity gun. He would be no match to her now and he had nowhere to run, unlike before. Carol looked more confident than ever, knowing she had full control of her powers and could put the man on his ass within a couple seconds.

She lit up her fist, ready to blast him. Yon powered up his weapons, ready to do the same. The tension was almost unbearable as they stood there in the desert, a few feet away from each other. I held my breath, nervous to see what would happen next.

I think Yon surprised both me and Carol when he suddenly lowered his hands, holstering his guns. 'I'm so proud of you. You've come a long way since I found you that day by the lake.' What the hell? Those were completely different words than he just said to me before I tried to choke the life out of him. He knew it was a losing game for him with how powerful she had become. So he tried to take the coward's way out, convincing her he was still on her side.

'But can you keep your emotions in check long enough to take me on? Or will it get the better of you, as always? I always told you; you'll be ready, the day you can knock me down as yourself. This is that moment. This is that moment, Vers!' She was not impressed at all, just stood very still and waited for his ranting to stop. 

'Turn off the light show, and prove, prove to me, you can beat me without...' Done with his little display, she casually blasted him back so far, I had trouble seeing where he landed. I snorted and chuckled, which caused her to give me an amused look, before walking to the man again.

She towered over him, looking down at her former Commander. 'I have nothing to prove to you', her calm voice said. She was right. He had lied to her and used her and she definitely didn't need to prove anything to him.

For a second I thought she was showing him mercy when she extended her hand for him to take, ready to pull him up from the floor. He reached for it and as soon as he had a good grip, Carol turned around and dragged him behind her, over the rough desert floor. Quickly understanding where she was going, I made my own way over to the pod. 

She threw him in rather roughly, and started tapping on the controls, setting the course for Hala. I stood on the other side with the smug look on my face that he had displayed before. 

We weren't rid of him. I know he would come back for us, the Kree would come back for us. But it would be at least a while before we saw his face again.

While he stared at me, he couldn't help but try to convince me to come with him, a last convulsion of a dead man. 'Aayala, it is not too late for you. Come back with me to Hala, we will act like nothing happened.' 

Carol raised an amused eyebrow at me, knowing it was all bullshit now. The smile didn't disappear from my face, instead, it got even bigger. He was almost begging me and it felt good to have such power over him. 'I'm sorry, buddy', I said in a sickening sweet voice, 'but I don't think my girlfriend would like that very much', putting extra emphasis on the word to torment him some more. 

It worked, he scrunched his nose like he had smelled something disgusting, but didn't say anything.

'I can't go back empty-handed', he finally spoke when the pod confirmed the destination. 

'You won't be empty-handed', Carol said, making him look at her. 'I'm sending you with a message. Tell the Supreme Intelligence that we're coming to end it. The war, the lies, all of it.'

He studied her face, as if to determine she was bluffing. 'You can't do this.' Oh but she could, and she will. 

Her answer came in the form of another tab on the controls, making the top of the pod close. We both took a few steps back, giving it some room to take off. The engine sputtered, clearly not able to lift off on its own, so Carol gave it a blast, powering it up enough for the trip back to Hala. It finally sped away and Yon disappeared from our sight, through the clouds. A seep sigh escaped me when I walked over to stand next to her, looking up at the sky, even though there was nothing to be seen anymore.