Chapter 21: Finally

Maria took us to a little shed on the other side of the house where one of those ancient computers stood. Apparently, the tape was in the form of a circular disk that could be played on it. 

Monica had to stay outside, headphones with music on her ears so she couldn't hear what we were saying inside. It was what's best for her. I had a feeling the tape wouldn't have the most fun information on it and she was too young to hear the death and destruction.

Talos and his minion had also followed us. Why, I had no idea. They already knew what was on it. Maybe they just wanted to see our reaction to it. 

Talos handed Maria the disk when she walked in, shushing Monica who was complaining she had to stay outside and couldn't listen along with us. 

Fury had made himself comfortable in the chair behind the desk and Carol leaned against a doorframe, trying to hide the fact that she was very nervous. I could see her hands shaking from where I stood next to her, a few feet away to give her some space.

The tension in the room was very thick and everybody waited with suspense at what the computer would bring us. 

It took a very long time to load, the loading bar filling slowly, like he knew how badly we wanted to hear it and protested against the pressure. 'What's happening?', Carol asked, not knowing why it took so long.

'It's loading.' Fury was still sippin' on some iced tea he had from before. Talos' minion shook his head in disbelief at the speed of the tech.

Suddenly, the bar was filled and a loud voice came out of the speakers, filling everyone's ears. 'Punch in the coordinates. Five two two nine, negative forty-seven, eight point seven six eight, zero point two'. Carol's eyes went wide when she recognized the voice and her body stiffened. She was sucked back in the memory, her eyes far away.

'Copy that. Where are we going Doc?' It was Carol's voice, without doubt. I would recognize that voice anywhere, even over the technology that rustled and creaked. 

'My laboratory.' The other voice belonging to Lawson answered her question.

Carol's reaction came in the form of a confused question. 'Your laboratory? What do you mean?'

But Lawson didn't answer her question, because something else had grabbed her attention and it sounded bad. 'Oh no.'

'Is that... Wait, what is that? It's not showing up on my radar.' Carol's voice didn't sound panicky, it was just very confused and I could only imagine what she had seen out there.

But Lawson was panicking, almost yelling at Carol to shake them off and get away. 'Go Carol. Fly!'

I know she didn't have to say that twice. She was stubborn, but knew when something was wrong. 'That's no MIG, Lawson. Who the hell are they?' A little panic could be heard in her voice now, but it changed quickly after the other woman told her they were bad guys and she had to fly faster. She didn't have to say it twice, because Carol's determined voice sounded again. This time without any doubt.'Yes, ma'am.'

Shots could be heard and the outside noise picked up, letting us know that she did indeed speed up. 'What do they want?', Carol yelled over the commotion.

'Me. My work. I never should have brought you along.' Lawson sounded sorry about bringing Carol along on this flight, putting her life in danger. No, letting her put her life in danger. The conversation with Maria from before had told me that Carol wanted to fly the plane. She had chosen this and now had to live with the consequences.