Chapter 30: Alone

23 years later

I sat on one of the chairs in the ship, cleaning and sharpening my sword. It was the only Kree weapon I still had. I loved it too much to give it up, it belonged to me. 

'You're obsessed with that thing.' Carol stood in the doorway, casually leaning against the doorpost. Her hair was still wet from the shower she just came out off. Our mission had been a little more violent and risky than we had expected. With unsuspected enemies showing up. So we were tired, dirty and bloody.

'That's true', I laughed, putting the shiny sword down on the chair next to me. 'Had a nice shower?'

'Would've been better with you there.'

I shook my head in disbelief, chuckling.

'What?'

I didn't answer her question, she knew I liked her flirting, even if I acted like I didn't. 'Next time, okay?' Her brown eyes lit up, happy she got her way.

To say we got even closer in the past twenty-so years would be an understatement. I found new things to love about her every day and was so happy we didn't have to hide anymore. Cause I didn't think I could have gone back to Hala and pretend again. Pretend nothing was going on between us.

We were always together, never one leaving without the other. Even though we had taken care of the Kree, we could never stop looking over our shoulders. I would be worried sick if she left for days, weeks even. Being with her, if only to be back-up, was the only way to stay sane.

Ever since we left Maria all those years ago, we hadn't been back on Earth. There was simply no time. We were always busy. With missions, people who needed our help, or simply with each other. I could see she missed her home, her friend, even though she tried to hide it well. She had missed Monica growing up, graduating high-school, going to college, getting her first boyfriend -or girlfriend. 

We didn't talk about them often, knowing it would only rip open certain wounds, but every now and then we would speculate what Fury was doing at the moment, if Maria was still flying planes, if Goose had thrown up the Tesseract yet. The pager we gave Fury had never gone off, letting us know he was doing okay. At least that was something, right?

The ship we had been living in, we bought with the money we got from the Skrulls after we had helped them find a safe home. It wasn't too big, just big enough for the two of us. It held everything we needed; a bedroom, a pretty large bathroom, kitchen, small living area, storage for lots of weapons for me. 

I loved my weapons and my collection had grown bigger and bigger over the years. Knives, guns, swords, things you could throw or shoot. I didn't need any of it, but I liked it. Carol just rolled her eyes every time I came home with a new one or was cleaning them obsessively, like she just walked in on.

'You know-', Carol started while she made her way over to me. But she cut herself off when we heard sudden commotion outside. The ship was parked somewhere on a planet on the other side of the universe, waiting for a next mission to pop up. The people here were very friendly and kind. Maybe also because we have become quite the legends in space. The two ex-Kree fighting for anyone who needs their help. 

I quickly stood up, my head whipping towards the door. Something was wrong. 

Carol gave me a fearful look when she passed me, heading for the lever next to the back door to open it. A heavy feeling weighed on my stomach when the ramp lowered slowly. What we saw was indescribable.