11

George got up early the next morning, before May awoke. A miracle for a man not accustomed to rising before ten. He woke May and she hurriedly got dressed, then nervously opened the door and made her way to their kitchen. George and Ringo sat at the table, sipping tea from mugs and wearing their identical Beatle suits. Ringo rubbed his eyes sleepily and looked at his watch.

“I didn’t know they still made seven AM,” he said to George.

George smiled and then looked up to see May come in. “Mornin’,” he said.

“Morning,” she replied, shyly.

“Um, Ringo, this is May. May, Ringo.” George introduced them.

“Nice to meet you.” Ringo said with a smile.

“Hi,” May replied.

“Right, I’ll, er… get me shoes.” Ringo said, less than subtly and stood. He winked at George at the door and disappeared into his bedroom.

“Sit down.” George said when he’d gone, hoping May hadn’t seen his wink.

She sat and George poured her some tea from the pot on the table.

“I think I should go home today.” May said, sipping it.

“What? You’ve only just got here,”

“Yeah, I know, and you’ve been really kind, George, but…well, this isn’t right, is it?”

Bloody Ringo, George thought. “It’s fine, May. What’s wrong?”

She drew a deep breath, if it was anyone else, “Being here, with you. All of this, it’s fantastic, but I shouldn’t be here. I’m married, and if Ringo thinks we’re…then they all will.”

“Well, so what? Let them.” George said meaning it, but May looked horrified. “What’s between me and you, is between me and you.”

“I should leave,” May repeated.

“May, at least stay a couple of days, eh?” he asked, softly and reached across to her, brushing her fringe out of her eyes, revealing her yellowing bruise. “A lot’s happened in the past couple of days. You need some time off, love. Have a bit of a holiday and then if you still feel the same way go back to…him.” May disguised her eye with her hair again and smiled weakly. “There are girls who would murder to be here now!” George added with a cheeky grin.

May already knew this. Up until yesterday she would have been one of them. “Okay then,” she agreed, still not sounding too sure, “But don’t tell anyone, about Jack and that.”

George nodded in agreement as Ringo returned with his coat on.

“Come on then,” he said swallowing down what remained of his mug of tea. “Lets go.”