18

The penultimate day of railway location shooting was thankfully a bright sunny day without a cloud, making it perfect filming conditions and they were able to used a certain degree of natural light, creating the Realism Effect Richard Lester was looking for.

Back in Aberystwyth however, it was raining, as it seemed to perpetually between November and April. Jack sat downstairs in the pub, supping brown ale and reading the Daily Mail, idly flicking through the sport pages and not really paying much attention to the more serious news articles. One in the centre pages, however, managed to catch his eye. The article was short, probably no more than three hundred words and it wasn’t a subject that would normally interest Jack.

He read through the article quickly. It opened, ‘Beatles take time out to attend Oxford Oxfam Dinner. The Fab Four last night attended a dinner in aid of Oxfam; taking a break from their hectic filming schedule, set to make them silver screen stars…’

There was no mention of her. Not a name, nothing. The picture stood for a thousand words though. There, smirking and looking a bit tipsy, was his wife. The arm of the longhaired poof she liked so much was draped around her shoulders, leering out at him from the page, laughing at him. Another picture depicted the other three. May wasn’t in that one. “The dozy cow was telling the truth,” Jack murmured to himself, bewildered.