31

“Stupid cow!” Jack growled, “After everything I told you, you still did it.”

“No, Jack…” May couldn’t understand how he had found out, but there was no point in denying it. A worrying image of George meeting Jack on the way out popped into her mind.

“What did I say? What did I tell you would happen if you saw that sod again?!” He stepped closer to her.

“I didn’t know. He just turned up on the doorstep!”

“I thought you said he didn’t know where you lived?”

“I didn’t think he did. He must have found out…” her voice trailed away.

“You still let him in though, didn’t you? What were you getting up to in here then?”

“Nothing! Jack, I just told him to go, I said I wanted to stay with you.”

“Oh, yeah? How do I know he’s not going to be back here as soon as my back’s turned?” He moved closer again, almost standing over her now. Against her will, she cowered away from him.

“He won’t. I’ll never see him again.”

“Your promises don’t mean anything, May. I can’t trust you now, can I? We have one little fight and the next thing I know your living some kind of debauched existence in London with that bastard.”

“Jack…”

“No, it’s too late, May. I’m just going to have to teach you how a wife is supposed to behave.” He grabbed hold of her hair, pulling her up by it.