33

Jack let go of her and May fell to the floor with a bump.

“Jack, please…” she cried.

“Shut up!” he yelled at her, “You whore! They all know! All them downstairs, they know you’ve been having men up here. How many has it been May? You’re an embarrassment! You know what they say about us?”

May stared up at him, too shocked to fight back or even cry.

“They say I can’t even keep my wife in check!” Jack ranted on, “Well, there will be no more of it, May! I am going to see to that!”

He stood over her with his fist raised. May covered her head, screwed her eyes closed and waited for it. But it didn’t come. Instead there was a heavy thud and a crash on the other side of the room. She opened her eyes, hardly daring.

Jack lay on his back; surrounded by the contents of the shopping bag he had grabbed hold of as had fallen. He blinked, slightly stunned.

George stood over him. He turned to May, who also stared at him in disbelief.

“Are you okay?” he said. She managed a nod back to him. “You don’t look it,” George said, moving over to her. “You know, I actually believed you. I left. I was gone,” he smiled, “but now, I’m not asking, May, I’m telling you. You’re coming home with me.” He reached down and helped her up gently. At last, tears came to May’s eyes. George held her in his arms; thankfully, as May’s legs felt so shaky she thought she might flop over like a rag doll. “Whatcha say, love?” George winked.

“Okay,” May said, weakly.

“Fab.” George said.

“What?” Jack shouted, suddenly finding his voice, and struggling to his feet, “You’re not going anywhere. And certainly not with this nancy!” He made a grab for her and roughly pulled her away from George. May gasped as he twisted her arm as he yanked her to him.

George stepped up to Jack.

“You,” he said slowly, “aren’t going to stop us. May can do what she pleases and if she wants to come with me then that’s what she’ll do.”

Up close, George could look quite menacing. Jack hesitated, but then letting go of his grip on May’s wrist pushed George back and said, “This is my wife. She’ll do as I tell her. And if you leave now, maybe I’ll only belt her to an inch of her life instead of actually finish her off.”

George shook his head. “Y’know, I’m much too busy for this.” Moving towards May he wrapped his arms around her waist tightly and, surprising May almost as much as Jack, kissed her. Jack gaped at them. After a moment George broke away, and Jack jumped towards him. George dodged expertly out of the way and came back with his own fist, knocking Jack down to the floor again.

Jack sat there, staring up at them, dazed.

“George!” May gasped, putting her hand over her mouth.

“Come ‘ed, la,” he said with a grin, and sliding his arm around her waist, guided her towards the door. May glanced back at Jack still on the floor and then let George lead her out, down the stairs and into the sunshine.

The door closed behind them and George let go of her, bursting out laughing and jumping around.

“Did you see his face?!” he giggled, “that was hilarious!” Then stopping, he took hold of her, “Are you alright?” he asked, concerned.

“George,” May said, still slightly confused “You hit him.”

“Yeah, and he hit you, so fair’s fair.” George said.

“But…” she started, then, “Thank you.”

“S’alright.” George said, slightly shyly, and opened the door to the car he had left outside the pub. May looked at it. “I know it’s not a white horse, but it’s all I could find at short notice,” he said, holding the door. May hesitated. Then straightening up, George added, “I really do have to get going back to London now, so come on.”

“You really meant that?”

“Of course. What else are you going to do?”

May laughed and jumped in the car.

The End.