32

She had just disappeared without a word to anyone! George thought, still speeding through the countryside, She didn’t have a moments thought for how anyone else might feel, that they might be worried about her. Selfish little…

He came to a fork in the road and took one path without bothering to check the signpost. He was driving just to put as much distance between him and what had just happened as he could. I can’t believe she just had the cheek to sit there and say that. It was like talking to a different person. He couldn’t believe she had ever had any feelings for him at all and that stung. I was just convenient. Someone stupid enough to take her in and pay the bills. Yeah, well, I’m no one’s fool.

So, I’ll just let her go. That’s what she really wants.

I’ll just give up.

But…

But nothing! He punched the car horn in anger. Some sheep in a field on George’s right eyed him with suspicion. I just spent my whole weekend looking for her, and she doesn’t even care!

She did seem different…

So? Forget about her.

You’re gonna just give up, like that?

Why not? Life’s too short to be dealing with this shit.

Even though you spent the week hoping she might turn up, and the weekend hunting her down, you’re just gonna go home like she told you to. You’re not even going to try.

No.

Even though you know something’s wrong.

Wrong? He checked the rear view mirror. Aberystwyth wasn’t even on the horizon anymore.

Yes, wrong. There was something… something she wasn’t saying? Something wrong?

Well, what is it to you? Why should you care about the ungrateful wretch? You’re better off without her.

Oh, sod it.

He slammed the brakes down and skidded the tyres to an abrupt halt. Then doing a hasty three point turn, pointed the car back towards the town and accelerated.