19

“Look at this,” John said, laying the paper under George’s nose. They were sat in the buffet car of the train, waiting for the call to finish the scene. George glanced down and saw the same picture Jack had been staring at in Wales. He raised an eyebrow but then went back to staring out of the window.

“That bloody kid!” John said, taking the newspaper back, “University paper! Yeah, right! Better hope Brian doesn’t see it.”

“He won’t if you don’t show him.” Brian didn’t read middle market tabloids like the Daily Mail. He was a broadsheet man all the way. “Besides, what’s it matter anyway?”

“Oooh! Scandal!” John laughed, “George Harrison having an affair with married woman!”

George fixed him with a cold look. “I am not having anything with May. And keep yer voice down, alright?”

“What? What’s wrong with yer? You’ve had well over a week!” John teased. “Don’t you fancy her?”

George went back to the watching the world go by, wishing John would change the subject, but eventually he said quietly, “Its not that. She… she’s all mixed up, about her husband and that.”

“So what?” John asked more seriously, “She’s pining away for her worthless other half, whilst living it up in the city with you? On your money? There’s nowt wrong with that girl, she knows what side her bread’s buttered!”

“John,” George warned.

“All I’m saying, is if you want this girl, then you’re gonna have to take things into yer own hands, that’s all.”

“Who says I do?” George replied moodily but then added, “And how would I go about that then, Casanova?”

“Make her jealous,” John said as if it was obvious, and sat back in the seat with his paper.

“Oh, right, yeah. I’ll do that after tea,” George said sarcastically.

John shrugged. “Take her out tonight, and spend most of it talking to some disco dolly. You’re a captive Beatle at the moment, it’s like you’re married to her. You show her you’re not gonna wait around and she’ll come runnin’!”

“She wouldn’t. She’d just go back to Wales,” George said pessimistically and John sighed, putting the paper up between the two of them.