Chapter Thirty Two

Jessica

With a mother who has been in film and apart of the Hollywood eye for years and a step father who has directed tons of Hollywood hits, I am not much of a New York City person. Don't get me wrong, I've been to NYC on numerous occasions, but I would be lying if I told you that I knew where I was going when I got there.

It was November, which meant that New York was freezing. I had left LA at three o clock on that Friday with seventy degree weather and when I landed at seven, the weather was forty two degrees. Quite the change for a California girl.

I was wearing bulky sunglasses and an oversized sweater with my leggings. It is easy to be noticed at the airport when there are millions of Grey's fans that exist, so I always attempt to look as normal as I can, even riding in second class.

I was lucky enough to not have a seat partner, so keeping my head down was not a hard feat to accomplish.

Due to the fact that Thanksgiving was over, the airport wasn't too busy... Or at least as busy as a New York City flight should be.

I grabbed my tan leather carry on from the top of my seat and pull, having the twenty pound contraption soaring down to the top of my head. Yeah, I am not much of a traveler.

Finally I get off of the flight, walking down the terminal, about to grab my suitcase and head to the pick up where my Uber would be waiting for me, ready to take me to my hotel room that ABC was paying for at the Windsor hotel.

After baggage claim, I rolled into a side bathroom to look at myself. My gray sweater was frayed at the ends, my leggings bunched up. I tighten my shoe laces and run cold water over my face, washing away the little remaining makeup that was left.

I call Andrew as I perch myself on the sink. "Hey!"
"Hey, did you land safely?" He asks.

I groan, running a hand through my hair. "Yes. I hate flying. I hate New York. I just want to be home with the kids, this was my week!"

"I know," Christopher says. "But I think that this will be nice, this getaway. You've been needing it."

"I guess. Thank you for taking the kids. Tell them I love them and have fun on your date tonight."

"Thanks, Jess. Text me when you get to your hotel room safely. I know how much NYC life intimidates you."

I chuckle sarcastically. "Yup. I will. Bye."

"Bye."

Nice and civil, how I like it. Things have been smooth sailing between us which has been extremely nice. He's dating a new girl, Lori. The kids really like her and I do, too. 

I pull out my carry on and apply fresh makeup on the off chance a fan sees me and wants to take a picture. I would rather be safe than sorry.

After that, I take my luggage and head out, merely finding my way to the exit and grimacing at the chilly East Coast air, pulling my sweater tighter around my waist and getting into the Uber faster than you can say Shonda Rhimes.

It was a four hour flight, so it was 7:00 LA time, but 10:00 NY time. I had to get home and take some night time pills in order to get used to my sleep schedule, and filming would start in a couple of days.

A getaway by myself... What could go wrong?