Chapter 10- lunch talk

Max

"So, I'll keep this short and sweet alright. People can't know that your are my sugar baby. It's as simple as that.", Demi looked at me with a serious expression.

"Okay...I understand, people would probably ques-", she held up her hand and shook her head.

"No, they wouldn't question it, they'd immediately go after you as well as me. It's just how it is."

I nodded and fiddled with the wrapper my sandwich came in.

"So, with that being said, I need to give you rules basically. I hope you understand that these aren't because I don't trust you, its simply because I just need to.", I nodded and pulled a piece of bread off of my sandwich, slowly nibbling on it as she spoke.

"Okay, first off, when you go out with me, head down. Secondly, you don't speak until we are either in a building or by ourselves.", I hummed, the rules being very reasonable so far.

"Third, no talking to the papz. No words to them what so ever, doesn't matter if they find out your name and call you by it, you stay quiet and act as if they are invisible.", I chuckled a little and nodded, grabbing my sandwich and taking a bite out of it.

"Fourth, you will be finishing Highschool and once that's done I want you to go to college.", I froze mid chew and looked at her like she was crazy.

I held up my hand and quickly finished chewing.

"Okay, let me pause you there. I'll finish Highschool, that's fair enough, but I am not going to college. I am not college material.", Demi stared at me and crossed her arms.

"Girl I don't give two shits if you don't believe your college material, you are, and you are going to get a degree. Doesn't matter if you have to take either years to get one, you are going to get one.", I scrunched up my face and shook my head.

"Listen, Demi, I am no-", she quickly leaned over the table and grabbed my chin, holding my face still.

"Listen, Max. I don't think you realize this but you wont be paying for it, I will. I understand you need accommodations, you'll get them. And like I said, if it takes eight years for you to get a degree than that's how long you'll study for. If you take a year break before each year, that's fine, You'll still get your degree."

She let go of my chin and sat back down, quickly taking a couple bites of her food.

We sat in silence for a moment, Demi just eating while I contemplated what just happened.

Demi sat back in her seat and watched me for a moment.

I glanced at her and shook my head.

"What do you expect me to get a degree in?", she looked up and chuckled, shrugging and crossing her arms again.

"You could get a degree to be business sales woman, you could go to be a electrician, I don't care. But whatever you choose will get you farther in a job than no degree."

I shook my head and stared at my sandwich, the thought for my GPA creeping up on me.

"Y-ya know I actually can't go to college.", Demi sighed and raised her eyebrows, almost as if daring me to give a reason.

"And why is that?", I grabbed my phone and quickly went online, finding my student portal and logging in. I glanced up and saw her watching me.

I quickly pulled up my GPA and showed her.

She took my phone and squinted while reading it.

"What are you trying to show me?"

"My GPA, its too low.", she looked around on the screen before sighing.

She handed me my phone and rubbed her face.

"Why is it so low?", I sighed and put my phone away.

"It's low because in middle school I started to struggle, but the teachers wouldn't listen to me about how I thought I had a learn problem. Eventually they just passed me along, once I got to Highschool they got me the resources I needed but it was wayyyy too late for any change."

Demi shook her head and checked her phone, putting it back once she was done.

"We'll talk about this later, come on, we gotta get back to the studio."