𝗛𝗲𝗿 𝗥𝗲𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗕𝘂𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘀

"ISAAC!" HE LOOKED TOWARDS his best friend and smiled widely at her as she jumped into his arms. Isaac hugged Violet tightly as they stood infront of the train.

Isaac rocked them back and forth as Violet giggled at him. They soon let go of each other and smiled. "I've missed you Vi!"

"Its only been a week since we last saw each other Isaac." She giggled at him and he smiled wider at her before patting her head like a brother would.

"Yeah well I miss my little sister." Violet slapped his arm playfully and motioned for him to follow her inside the train. Along the way, they passed by Ginny and Dean who were looking at each other lovingly.

Isaac greeted both of them and grinned at Ginny. "Have fun Gin! But not too much fun!"

He heard her grumble under her breathe about how he was just like her brothers now. He chuckled at her before following Violet to the compartment with Thomas in it. Thomas smiled at both of them, but his smile widened when he saw Violet. "Violet! Your back!"

Thomas stood up and hugged Violet, who was blushing a bit. Isaac looked at her curiously before he realized why she was blushing. Violet likes Thomas, but why won't she just tell him?

His thoughts were interrupted when Hannah Abott came in and greeted them. Isaac was surprised that she was here but smiled at his fellow prefect. "Hi Hannah. How was your summer?"

"It was great! We went to France for a bit. Anyways can I talk to Thomas?" Isaac glanced at Thomas who was currently sitting beside a very fidgety Violet. Thomas didn't notice it but was grinning at Hannah, like how he does when he's dating someone.

"I'll just talk to Hannah. Sorry Violet, I know you just came back and I'm about to leave..." Violet forced a smile on her face and shook her head at him.

"It's alright Thomas. Go." Thomas' grin came back to his face as he held Hannah's hand and left the compartment. Isaac sighed at Violet and sat beside her.

He glanced at her before clearing his throat. "So. Thomas?"

Violet bit her lip and nodded shyly. She sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder. Isaac put an arm around her shoulder, bringing her into a side hug. "When did you realize?"

"Last year, during the Yule Ball. You left and Thomas saw me sitting alone and offered me to dance with him. It was one of the best times I had." Isaac rubbed her shoulder soothingly as they stayed like that in a comfortable silence.

"So the reason you won't tell him..." Violet sighed and looked at her hands on her lap.

"I was supposed to when I came back, but then he sent me a letter one night and he said he thinks he found the one..." Isaac nodded understandingly and held one of her hands and rubbed it soothingly.

"Its alright Violet. I'll be here for you. I understand how you feel." Violet gave him a sad smile which he returned and they stayed like that for the rest of the ride.

THE GREAT HALL

Isaac was sitting with Violet and Thomas as they ate their dinner. Thomas was talking non stop about his dates and he was gushing about Hannah. Violet played wither her food, not really paying attention to him as she didn't want to hear all about their 'relationship'.

Isaac would fake a smile at times as he knew his friend beside him was very uncomfortable about the situation. He felt bad that Violet had to go through this. But there wasn't much he could do. Once Thomas started talking, it never really ended.

When Dumbledore stood up, Isaac was glad he did. Thomas would then stop talking and would forget what they were even talking about.

The whole room silenced as Dumbledore had his hands out. "Very best of evenings to you all. First of, let me introduce the new member of our staff..."

Isaac saw a well dressed man sitting beside Professor Snape and knew he was the one. "..Horace Slughorn."

Everyone greeted him with an applaud. Isaac watched his new professor curiously, wanting to know why they had a new Professor. But he dismissed the thought with a dry chuckle as he remembered that there was always a new teacher every year anyways.

"Professor Slughorn has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." Isaac heard everyone around him mumble around about the new announcement.

Isaac chuckled as he looked towards the Professor and grinned. So he finally got the job he wanted huh.

"... was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked into this castle's corridors, stepped under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other."

Isaac sighed as he knew where Dumbledore was going in his speech. He remembered the words the Headmaster himself utter to him before he went to the Great Hall.

Stay on guard Isaac. He is coming soon.

Isaac shook his head from the memory and continued to listen. "... Which is why as I stand looking out upon you all tonight. I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. In the end, our greatest weapon is you."

And Isaac wasn't sure if he, or even anyone, could handle that type of burden.