𝐀 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 - 𝐏𝐭. 𝟔

One late night, as you prepared to head to bed after an intensive session of reading, you heard someone forcefully open your front door.

You immediately froze in shock and fear, your sense of hearing heightened. Someone walked into the apartment. Their footsteps rang loudly in your ears as your heart thumped hard.

This was definitely an intruder.

Breaking out of your shocked state, you looked around quickly to grab something. You snatched the black umbrella you owned and held it in front of you in defense. Blood rushed through your veins as you waited for the intruder to make their next move.

You hoped, prayed, it was just someone who mistook your apartment for theirs, but unfortunately for you, that certainly was not the case.

"I know you're in there, girlie. Come out now. I'll make it less painful if you do.", a man's deep voice said in a mocking tone, causing your anxiety and dread to spike a thousandfold.

Your hands were slick with cold sweat as they shook.

The flimsy bedroom door was kicked open by a booted leg. A tall, grizzly-looking man entered the room, his mouth sneering as he looked at you lecherously. His cold, dark eyes seemed to strip you naked.

"That little umbrella ain't gonna do much. Be a good girl now.", he said as he approached you like a predator cornering its prey.

You felt anger course through your veins as you swung the umbrella at him. It didn't do much damage, except scratch his neck slightly, which angered him immediately. He grabbed hold of the umbrella and with great force, threw it across the room.

Looking at your only object of defense lying so far away pathetically, you never felt so powerless.

The man grabbed your shoulders and pushed you roughly against the wall. Your hands immediately flew to his face as you attempted to scratch his eyes. He yelped, before his hands went from your shoulders to your neck, choking you.

"Don't be so fucking difficult bitch. I could've made it fun for you too, but you just don't want that, huh?"

As your breath left you, black spots began to cover your vision. Why was this happening to you? Your body would now be desecrated and perhaps you would be killed by the end of it. You wished you could see Rui one more time.

Suddenly, you heard a loud thump, and the chokehold loosened, allowing you to breathe in sharply. The man who attacked you now laid motionless on the floor, his neck angled awkwardly.

You looked up at your savior and burst into tears.

Rui immediately pulled you into a tight hug, coldly glaring at the offender. You cried into his chest, shaking. After a long time, he quietly spoke.

"It's alright, now."

He walked you out of the bedroom, supporting your shoulders. You sat on the sofa, leaning down and letting your h/c hair cover your tear-stained face.

Rui pulled your hair back, his movements soothing.

"It's alright Y/n. You're safe now.", he whispered softly, repeatedly saying them to calm you down.

"Why would... w-who... what have I done to deserve this?", you wondered aloud in a shaky voice, leaning your head against Rui's broad shoulders.

Rui ran his hand through your hair and patted your head.

"Don't worry my love. You're safe now."

Once you calmed down, Rui walked you out of your apartment to an elegant black carriage waiting down the quiet, dimly lit street, the Zephyrin family crest carved onto its dark doors.

"What about that man?", you asked with a whisper, feeling disgusted at remembering your attacker's hands on yourself.

"Don't worry. He's dead."

You didn't know where Rui was taking you. All you wanted was to feel his protective warmth, which he happily provided, encasing you in his welcoming embrace.

Drained of your energy, you eventually fell asleep in your lover's arms.

At some point in the night, you knew the carriage had stopped somewhere, but you really couldn't be bothered.

The next morning you found yourself sleeping on an unknown bed, Rui sleeping next to you. For a moment you stared at his sleeping face and listened to his soft, rhythmic breathing. He looked so gentle, his exquisite face under the morning light filled you with awe at his beauty.

Your moment of admiration ended when you suddenly felt a coldness on your neck, immediately causing you to panic.

You quickly sat up, waking up Rui in the process as his arms were wrapped around your figure. You realized the coldness was the emerald locket of the necklace Rui had gifted you.

With shaking fingers, you tried to unclasp the jewelry, since you felt like it was clawing at your neck. Your struggling was put to an end when your fingers were encased in larger, warmer ones.

"Do you want to take it off?" Rui asked quietly as he leaned his head on your shoulder, his warm breath fanning your right ear.

You nodded sharply.

Within a second the jewelry came off and you breathed easy, leaning back against Rui.

"It has nothing- my neck just feels-", you tried explaining before being shushed by the young man.

"It's alright, my love. I understand. It's still early, sleep a little more."

You nodded, feeling your remaining tiredness take over your consciousness.

As you slept, Rui looked at you before shifting his eyes to the jewelry in his hand. His eyes hardened in a mixture of anger and hatred. He knew who exactly were responsible for traumatizing you like this, and he sure as hell would make them pay for it.

For the next few days, you stayed at the expensive inn, with Rui never leaving your side. You felt unsafe on your own and he knew that instinctively.

Regardless of your feelings, he wouldn't have left you alone anyway. Not after what happened.

You had asked Rui why he was near your apartment that terrible night, especially at such a late hour. You were, of course, extremely grateful to him for saving your life, but you were also quite curious about the miraculous circumstances.

"I just had a feeling... call it a premonition, if you will. The moment I saw your door ajar, I knew something was very wrong.", he had answered, comfortingly patting your head.

One peaceful morning, as you both ate breakfast, someone knocked frantically on the door, disturbing the serene atmosphere. You looked at Rui and he answered.

"Enter."

A boy in his late teens entered the room, chest heaving. He wiped away his sweat as he said, "Urgent news, my lord."

Rui glanced at you before sighing.

"What is it?"

"The carriage Lord and Lady Zephyrin were riding as they returned from the Emperor's summer palace was attacked by bandits last night. Lady Zephyrin passed away at the scene, while Lord Zephyrin made it through the night before passing away at dawn."

The boy spoke rapidly, chest still heaving.

You sat in complete shock before looking over at Rui. He had an impassive face on, the same one he had when he told you of Riza Hanan's passing. Your heart broke for him.

"Leave."

His voice had no trace of emotion as he commanded the servant, who didn't waste a second in following the order.

Your mouth felt too heavy to say anything. So you stood up from your chair and walked over to Rui. He looked up at you as you hugged his neck, pulling his head to rest on your chest. Slowly, he put his hands on your waist, hugging you closely.

Sometimes, silence expressed more than words ever could.