Chapter 11: Beyond Time

"ASHLEY!" A VOICE EXCLAIMED AS SHE WOKE UP, HER VISION BLURRED - she adjust herself and get up in bed. Once her vision is clear, she saw her sister sat beside her bed. She smiled as her sister smile back, "Where have you been?" she asked, Ashley became confused - the memories of what happened still fresh in her memory.

"I-I was tired...sorry." She replied as her sister smack her head. "Shiya! What was that for?!" she exclaimed as her sister pouted, "That's for making me and my grandma worried! Uncle is going home today!" she exclaimed as Ashley stood in her bed. Still confused, she examine her bedroom window and realized its night.

"Lan Xichen is right..." she mutter as her sister raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" she asked, Ashley turn towards her.

She replied, "What day is it?" changing the topic to prevent suspicion.

"It's Saturday evening." Her sister replied as she smiled.

It is true... she thought to herself and reach her school backpack.

"Well, time to study...final exams are in Monday." She mutter to herself as her sister lf the room while Ashley organized her school stuff.

An image of her and Lan Wangji staring at each other, she pause and let out a deep sigh, she became melancholic when they almost kissed. To her, she already knew what happened 6 years later in Lan Wangji's time and to that, she sigh in defeat.

"I must not ruin what is already written in his time...I am there only to stop what is happening...not the whole thing..." she silently mutter to herself as she keep going to organized her books and lecture notes while she reach her headphones near the bed, she play some relaxing music in her phone while doing her cleaning.

Humming through the music, she was already finished tidying her stuff when a sound of footsteps startled her - still wearing her headphones, she ignored it as she assumed it was sister going in this floor to get something. She keep organizing her stuff while humming through the music, she suddenly remind her of Lan Wangji...although, she brushed those thoughts and continue doing her work and sang through the music,

꿈을 꾸네

nan kkumeul kkune

I dream

설레는 마음 가득히

seolleneun i maeum gadeukhi

My heart is full of excitement

\ 바라보네

neol barabone

I look at you

두근대는 마음 모르

dugeundaeneun maeum moreuge

I do not know my heart

As she sings through the music, she never aware Lan Wangji already stood in front of her bedroom door. Standing beside the door frame, he silently watched Ashley singing while doing her work. After Ashley left, Lan Wangji decided to follow her by using his Guqin to play and went to her time.

She sighed and stood after doing her cleaning and turn around to see Lan Wangji already standing in front of her bedroom door, she gasped and pull out her headphones. She walked closely and spoke, "Lan Zhan? What are you doing here??" Lan Wangji look away.

"I-I follow you here." He replied as Ashley widen her eyes. He is joking...he can't be here...my uncle he is arriving here soon... she thought to herself as she shook her head,

"Okay then...sit in my bed while I finished cleaning...my uncle will arrive at the moment...Stay here so they will not see you being here...they will became curious because...the way you dressed."

"Mn." He replied as he sat down and watched her cleaning her stuff, he silently examined as he noticed Ashley wore a different outfit. "What are you wearing?" he asked as Ashley awkwardly chuckled and stared at herself.

"In my time, the garments worn are different...over the past few decades...people change their outfits to that." She point Lan Wangji's garment.

"Into this..." she point her worn garment as Lan Wangji look away.

She shook her head and spoke, "Well I think, I need to start studying!" she stretched her whole body as Lan Wangji watch while sitting in her bed.

"Well is my bed comfortable? You can sleep if you like." Lan Wangji didn't reply as Ashley let out a deep sigh.

"Okay okay, I stop talking." She walk towards her study table and start opening the pages of her lecture notes. She stretch her both hands and start writing her missed notes to review for her finals exams.

While writing, she hummed the music Lan Zhan played to Wei Wuxian 10 years ago and seems she loved the music dearly. Although, the aching of her heart is still there...she can't take Wei Wuxian's place...to her, she is recreating the history itself...the reason of her stay in Wei Wuxian's time confused her, and all she knew by heart that she is there for a reason.

Little did Lan Wangji never knew, Lan Qiren secretly talk to Ashley about her situation and seems you can observe how Ashley's mindset began to be different throughout the journey she venture with Lan Zhan.

That night, after her return in Cloud Recesses, Ashley secretly went out after Lan Wangji left and assumed that he already slept. She sighed and silently walk towards the Jingshi, it was not far from her room that she is staying. As she reached the Jingshi, she knocked and already opened by Lan Xichen and realized they are still awake.

"Zewu Jun, Master Lan Qiren." She bowed as they both nod.

"Why are you still awake, Ashley?" Lan Xichen asked.

"Errr... I want to tell you something...the other reason I came back." She replied as Lan Qiren stood from his seat, the way she said it caught their attention.

"Speak." Lan Qiren replied as Ashley nod and spoke,

"The reason I came back...is that I knew what will happen in the next 11 years...as I told Lan Xichen some little of it...I will tell you right away...but don't let Lan Wangji know." Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren nod as she continued,

"To prevent danger, I will explain it simply...be cautious around Jin Guangyao." Lan Xichen widen his eyes in confusion.

"What do you mean...?"

"Just, listen to me...I can feel my time in here is limited...I just want to warn you guys even Lan Wangji...don't tell him until when the time is right...when I came back after all the mess...or during the mess...I will explain how and why." Lan Qiren shook his head and replied,

"Well then...I agree with you...the Aqua Demon and the Stygian Tiger Amulet nowhere to be found...I guess we should believe in you for you are the girl who traveled back in time."

"Thank you for warning us, Ashley...I will keep my promise." Lan Xichen replied as Ashley smiled and bowed before she left the Jingshi.

Memories of that moment flooded her and she knew that her time is limited, to her, she needs to focus in finding clues about the events. Even though the history is sealed and will happen, she needs to prevent herself from solving all to herself...hoping that if Wei Wuxian came back...he will solve this case with Lan Wangji themselves.

For the sake of them and my time...I must remain vigilant she thought to herself as she continued writing her notes in a separate sheet of paper not aware Lan Wangji already slept.